FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore CS3 "General Error"

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katina
Encore CS3 "General Error"
on Aug 26, 2007 at 7:56:00 pm

I am authoring a simple DVD on newly acquired Encore CS3 and without warning - after all is going well - all of a sudden I get the dreaded message "General Error". Once this happens, it appears that Encore is "corrupted" Even after deleting all assets, menus, etc. and starting again after placing the first item I get the same error. If I try to start a "new" project, Encore crashes but will reboot correctly - then work fine as I add assets and menus - work fine for a while and then - again - the "general error" message and it's over.

Anyone knows what this is all about??? Is it a bug?

Katina

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Jeff Bellune
Re: Encore CS3 "General Error"
on Aug 29, 2007 at 2:23:17 am

You can try two things at first:

1. In Edit>Preferences>Media, clean the Media Cache Database.

2. Reset Encore's preferences. The easiest way to do this is to delete the "AppPreferences.xml" file, which can be found under "C:Documents and SettingsApplication DataAdobeAdobe Encore3.0". Encore will rebuild the preferences from scratch the next time you launch the program.

Let us know if either one helps.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Aviator459
on Sep 5, 2007 at 3:27:32 am

I have the same issues, but for me it seems to happen after I preview the menu or do a build. In any event, I believe a video file is created for the menu and stored in the SourcesVideo folder of your project folder. I believe the name of the file is determined by your video settings. My file is called mp24x3NTSC720x480.mpg.

The strange thing here is once it is created it cannot be deleted. Even after Encore is closed. There is a stuck process that is keeping it tied up and therefore, when Encore tries to recreate it in a new build or preview, it generates a general error. I am unable to identify the process in Task Manager, so I doubt that it is listed there. Could be a memory leak/error within the program. Something is not being closed in memory.

After rebooting the computer, the file is freed and able to be deleted. Encore then responds normally until it has to recreate that file which is again stuck summoning the general error.

No solution here, just an observation. Check it out on your system and see if you are getting similar results. Maybe Adobe can issue a fix to this seemingly notorious bug in their code.

Return to posts index

James Moor
on Jul 14, 2008 at 2:10:50 am

Robert,

Did you every find a fix for this? I have exactly the same thingissue, but i'm running CS2. Just loded CS2 on a new Dell Workstation .... didn't have the problem on my old Dell XPS.

Thanks,
jd

jdmoor@bellsouth.net

Return to posts index

Aviator459
on Sep 5, 2007 at 3:38:52 am

Just had another thought. You get one chance at this per reboot. Compose your project and then preview to make sure it is what you want. Once you've done that, you will not be able to build or preview again until the compter is rebooted. I know, it blows. Save your project and reboot. Then bring it back up again and do a build. What I like to do is creat a DVD image so I can just burn the image to disc later.

It's a long work around, but it gets the project done. Any luck with Adobe Tech support?

-Aviator

Return to posts index

Katina
on Sep 5, 2007 at 1:17:08 pm

Thank you for all your input! And I'm happy to hear that it is not my problem only. Have just downloaded and installed the new "patch" for Encore CS3 from Adobe (I think it's called 3.1) and the problem seems to have disappeared. The patch does not tell one what it is supposed to do - but maybe this is the fix?

I'll update the moment it returns - but the re-boot is a good solution once advanced in a project! Very time consuming and not at all like Adobe! They have been quick to repair bugs in the past while letting the users know of the problem.

Return to posts index

Aviator459
on Sep 5, 2007 at 5:49:54 pm

Ah, Thank you for informing me about the patch. I will look for that. I'm not sure why I missed seeing it. I'm using version 3.0 at this time. So that sounds very promissing.

-Aviator

Return to posts index

Aviator459
on Sep 5, 2007 at 6:08:17 pm

Well, I downloaded and installed the patch to v. 3.0.1 and I still have the same issues. The write-up for the patch said something about fixing compatibiilty for BlueRay. I was hoping they fixed this bug as well.

So, tell me. Can you right-click in the flowchart panel and select preview more than once without incurring the general error? If you can, then maybe this is something more specific to my computer rather than a code issue.

-Aviator

Return to posts index

George Mantaring
on Jul 20, 2008 at 2:56:17 am

Hi Aviator459,

That was an astute observation regarding the .mpg file that can't be deleted! This thread is a little stale (almost a year ago!) but I ran into the same exact issue. Apparently, the .mpg file is a temporary file that is created during previews / builds / etc. If Adobe Encore can't delete or overwrite the file, you get the dreaded "General Error".

I did some research and opened up Process Explorer (You can get it at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx ) and found that my particular culprit was none other than "GoogleDesktop.exe"!!! Yep - perhaps Google Desktop was trying to index the file because it was a .mpg and wouldn't let it go. (To find what files are in use by which processes, press Ctrl+F once you're in Process Explorer, then search for "mpg")

In case you're still having this particular problem (albeit a year later), I recommend that you try closing Google Desktop completely (or whatever process that Process Explorer is pointing to) and try again. Closing Google Desktop worked in my case and now I'm able to preview and build projects successfully.

Many thanks for your initial insight,
george

P.S. The Adobe forums on this "General Errors" are horrible and recommend a billion other things like reinstalling Encore from scratch... :P

Return to posts index

metta xu
on Jan 15, 2012 at 2:41:21 am

I have tried to author the same project since 10 pm last night. No success 12 hours later. Previously, I get the 'General Error' halfway thru the authoring. Now, I get it even after I re-start the PC and starting a new slate of Encore.

And even after I click the 'ok' button to acknowledge, the darn message keep coming up, even after i repeatedly click ok. Seems like some serious bug.

And I'm using the latest CS5.5 production premium. I believe I have done all the necessary updates. Does anyone have a fix for this? This Production Premium 5.5 is driving me crazy...

Return to posts index

Ryan Knapp
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:50:14 pm

I recently burned a 2 disk set for a client. Sadly, I used a bad format and the footage had alot of arifacts.

I re-export the files as MPEG2-DVD (4 min, 7 target, 8 max, 2 Pass VBR, Maximum Render Quality).

I burned the Bonus content disk with no issues and the footage looks much better.

When attempting to burn the Workshop DVD, It comes up with a "General Error" right when it goes to begin the burning process.

Bonus Disk is a DVD-R LightScribe
Workshop Disk is a DVD+R DL LightScribe

I have reverted back to previous footage that did work during burning, but I now always get the "General Error" message. I am not sure what the deal is. (Something a bit more details then "General Error" would be appreciated Adobe)

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Rita Dapkey
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:31:10 pm

This thread is the single most helpful thread on the Encore Forum. I have Encore CS3 and I had the exact same problem. It took the following steps to fix my issue: I deleted all old Encore projects and then I followed Jeff's advice - thank you Jeff! - and rebooted before starting a whole new project with a new, clean menu. Finally after three weeks I have a DVD with no crashes.

It is very frustrating to say the least.

Thanks,
RMD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]