FORUMS: list search recent posts

duplicate timelines but not assets - project still huge!?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
duplicate timelines but not assets - project still huge!?
on Aug 15, 2007 at 2:01:24 pm

Hi all,

I don't do much authoring, so forgive my niavety...

I am working on a DVD where the client wants a play all button and then 7 individual chapters that when played come back to the menu after each one...

Now, what I usually do is encode the whole programme in it's entirety>import as timeline and use that for Play all. I then usually encode each separate section and import each of them as separate timelines..blah, blah, blah. This means double the encoding time and obviously double the amount of encoded video on the disc = more space taken up.

After a bit of a read in Encore 2.0 I tried a new workflow; whereby I encode the entire programme in one go, but put chapter points in Premiere. I then import ONCE as an asset and add that same bit of footage to different timelines with diff out points to go back to the menu.

This works great and means less encoding...only problem is that Encore seems to duplicate the asset's file size each time I add it to a new timeline. Hence my 30 minute programme is now an 18GB project!?!

Is this right, or is there a way around this? It seems crazy that it duplicates the file size, as all Encore is doing is reusing the same bit of media in several different ways..

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks,
Jim.

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

Skarab
Re: duplicate timelines but not assets - project still huge!?
on Aug 15, 2007 at 3:30:24 pm

I just built a similar project. there are six segments of animation that we wanted to view either as separate sections, or watch all segments strung together in one show.

So I imported the six animations, each with its own timeline, and gave each one a menu button.

I then had a "Play all" button and created a new timeline that had all six segments play in sequence. so there's only one of each animitions on the disc, used in more than one timeline.It worked fine.

However I haven't experimented with chapter headings or using them to trigger navigation.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
Re: duplicate timelines but not assets - project still huge!?
on Aug 15, 2007 at 3:39:58 pm

Hi Skarab,

Thanks for the reply...I'm not sure this will work for me. Apart from the fact that you are still putting the same footage in different timelines (this is what's causing Encore to think it's all diff footage and therefore hiking my project size up) I don't think diff segments strung together in one timeline, or several timelines played after each other gives a smooth ride between them. I mean there are big pauses when I've tried it in the past.

I want to keep my play all piece as one file, but wanted to avoid splitting and re-encoding all the other sections aswell.

Anyone else got any ideas? Surely if you've only got one bit of footage in a project then the file size should be not much bigger than that, rather than 1 bit of footage in 7 diff timelines = 7 times the data!?! I *MUST* have this wrong surely.

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]