FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion menu bitrate

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bfavre4
motion menu bitrate
on Jun 26, 2007 at 8:08:08 pm

Hi all. I was wondering if it's possible to control motion menu bitrate in Encore 2.0. I have verified that Encore encodes all motion menus at CBR 8.0 mbps regardless any setting you set. I pick-whip a menu's "Audio" to a background song, and then Animate Buttons. In Preferences, I also made sure that in Encoding, the "Max Automatic Transcoding Bitrate" is 7.0 mbps. Yet in the end, the generated motion menu is still at 8.0 mbps. I've verified it's 8.0 mbps by going to the subfolder SourcesMenus and checking the MPG sizes.

I have tons of motion menus and it's very space-consuming if they're all 8.0 mbps.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: motion menu bitrate
on Jun 27, 2007 at 2:00:20 pm

You have no control over motion menu bit rate encoding within Encore itself - it is fully automatic, with no user settings.

But you could encode your own menu background to MPEG-2 elsewhere, and then as long as your menu PSD consists only of button layer sets with highlight layers (no other layers), then Encore won't composite it and re-encode it at 8 Mbps.

Return to posts index

bfavre4
on Jun 28, 2007 at 5:29:00 pm

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately I have a bunch of video show-through buttons for chapters. The chapters are automatically made into those video buttons when you link the button to the chapter. This process in Premiere would involve selecting and cutting clips from each chapter, then using a filter to resize them, then line them up and position them, and add a feathering effect. A bit tedious for 27 chapters.

All assets have Transcode Settings. Motion menus are the lone exception. Is there something technological that Adobe can't get past? Is there something inherently special about motion menus that Transcode Settings couldn't be implemented? (maybe a DVD spec that limits it to 8mbps?)

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jun 28, 2007 at 5:51:43 pm

[bfavre4] "A bit tedious for 27 chapters"

Maybe so. But necessary if you want to use Encore and save space on your motion menus.

So if I read your posts correctly, you have 3 choices:

1. Endure the tedium.
2. Sacrifice the space.
3. Use different software.

If you would like to have a control over the bit rate that is used to transcode motion menu assets, please file a feature request on the Adobe web site.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]