FORUMS: list search recent posts

More on override problem

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
jpspohn
More on override problem
on Jun 21, 2007 at 9:51:53 pm

Additional info re override problem: During a preview, when I hit the Execute End Action button during any scene, it returns to the scene menu just as it should according to my override settings. But otherwise it just plays from scene to scene without returning to the scene menu. One other thing: I have 2 timelines. When I play the last scene on each timeline from my scene menu, at the end, each one returns to the scene menu as they should. But all other scenes before the last ones don't. I have been running tests for two days and am about at the end of my rope. I just did a reinstall of Encore but this didn't help. Jim

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: More on override problem
on Jun 21, 2007 at 10:04:22 pm

Please see my reply to your other post...

The reason why it works when jumping to the LAST scene is because then it reaches the end of the Title, and executes your Override...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

jpspohn
on Jun 21, 2007 at 11:39:38 pm

George, by "title" are you referring to "timeline"? I set no overrides for my timelines. I set overrides for each button in my scene selection menu (each scene being denoted by a chapter point on my timelines). As I understand it and what has worked for me in the past is that the overrides are supposed to link back to the scene selection menu. The button with an ovverride causes the player to play only a single scene instead of continuing on playing the rest of the timeline and to return to the scene selection menu and stop. When playing a preview in Encore, when I click the End Action button, the player returns to the scene menu like it should, but otherwise the timeline just keeps playing scene after scene. It's driving me crazy because I swear I'm using the same settings I've used many times before. Jim

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 22, 2007 at 2:25:32 am

[jpspohn] "George, by "title" are you referring to "timeline"?

Yes.

[jpspohn]
I set no overrides for my timelines. I set overrides for each button in my scene selection menu (each scene being denoted by a chapter point on my timelines). As I understand it and what has worked for me in the past is that the overrides are supposed to link back to the scene selection menu. The button with an override causes the player to play only a single scene instead of continuing on playing the rest of the timeline and to return to the scene selection menu and stop.

When you jump to a specific scene, playback will continue until the END of the title, then either execute an OVERRIDE (if set) or execute the regular END-ACTION. NOTE: setting Chapter END-ACTIONS can prevent the entire timeline from playing when you reach an end of a chapter.

[jpspohn]
When playing a preview in Encore, when I click the End Action button, the player returns to the scene menu like it should, but otherwise the timeline just keeps playing scene after scene. It's driving me crazy because I swear I'm using the same settings I've used many times before. Jim"

Because when you execute the END-ACTION button, the preview assumes you reached the END of the Title, and then executes your Override.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

jpspohn
on Jun 22, 2007 at 3:09:08 am

Thanks, George. Apparently, I have to create a separate timeline or title for each scene that I want to override to and then hang them all together with timeline end actions. Jim

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 22, 2007 at 3:43:37 pm

Seriously re-think your perceived need of overrides.

Misuse of overrides is the number 1 error made by Encore users, and if misused, will cause navigation heartaches.

In most cases, using playlists, chapter playlists, and chapter end actions cover 99.9% of the navigation that can also be achieved with overrides, and because these are very clear mechanisms, are much less prone to user error compared to overrides.

Return to posts index

jpspohn
on Jun 22, 2007 at 5:23:19 pm

Thanks for the response, Joe. I just checked my manual, which I hate, (by Doug Sahlin) and Encore Help and found no reference to playlists and chapter end actions. I'm using Encore 1.0 (which I hate) and which must be the version Adobe acquired before they made any improvements. I don't think I have the navigation capabilities you referred to. Am I right that I need to upgrade? Jim

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 22, 2007 at 8:53:07 pm

Sorry Jim...everything I mentioned is available in later versions of Encore. Overrides are the only way to achieve complex navigational tricks when using Encore 1.0. For the record, there is no way to play only a single chapter of a timeline in Encore 1.0 (other than the last chapter), overrides or not...as you have found out.

However, this is possible in Encore 2.0 or later. FYI, Adobe offers a deal if you want to go to upgrade to Encore CS3 (and also get the full version of Premiere Pro CS3 as well).

Regards,
Joe

Return to posts index

jpspohn
on Jun 23, 2007 at 12:01:10 am

Clearly I need to upgrade. Thanks for your help. Jim

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 23, 2007 at 3:16:56 am

[Joe Bowden] "For the record, there is no way to play only a single chapter of a timeline in Encore 1.0 (other than the last chapter), overrides or not...as you have found out.

However, this is possible in Encore 2.0 or later."

For the record, please clarify if you think it can be done in Encore 2.0 using Overrides -- or if you mean using chapter End-Actions and/or chapter playlists...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 24, 2007 at 7:17:17 pm

Sure, it could be done with overrides or explicit chapter end actions.

The key component that makes it all possible, however, is support for chapter end actions in Encore 2.0.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 24, 2007 at 10:21:56 pm

[Joe Bowden] "Sure, it could be done with overrides or explicit chapter end actions.

The key component that makes it all possible, however, is support for chapter end actions in Encore 2.0."

You could not do it with Overrides alone. Agreed that the Chapter End-Actions would be needed (unless last chapter of course). But then if you use Chapter End-Actions -- you prevent smooth playback of the Title in a "Play All" scenario...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 25, 2007 at 2:40:36 pm

I'm quite aware of the features of Encore, thanks. :)

The original poster was trying to play a single chapter using end action overrides, and was using Encore 1.0, which does not support either chapter end actions or chapter playlists.

That's the topic I replied to - not to the merits of chapter end actions in general.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 25, 2007 at 3:18:31 pm

[Joe Bowden] "The original poster was trying to play a single chapter using end action overrides, and was using Encore 1.0, which does not support either chapter end actions or chapter playlists."

Joe, it sounded like you were disagreeing with my replies on how the Overrides work (when you said "For the Record...", and because your reply was after my explanations on how Overrides work -- if I misrepresented Overrides, please let me know...).

Perhaps I misread your replies, but it sounded like you were implying you can play a single chapter (non last chapter) using ONLY Overrides...

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jun 25, 2007 at 4:26:01 pm

No, I was just trying to explain to the original poster how it could be done in Encore 2.0, and then that it could not be done in Encore 1.0.

Return to posts index

trusso
on Jul 8, 2007 at 8:40:38 pm

I use Encore 2.0 and I see nothing mentioned about choosing a chapter end action. I wish it was possible. I have a 45 minute full documentary with 25 chapter points. I hate navigating to a chapter point and then it plays the rest of the chapters until the end.

Since this is a documentary, I want the movie to be able to be played from beginning to end, if desired. So, on the main menu, I have a Play Movie button. That should play through to the end unless I hit stop.

On the 2 Scene Selection menus that I have created, I want to be able to click on any chapter I want and have it return to the same menu and highlight the next chapter.

When I click on the TIMELINES and choose the video, I see the chapters listed below. If what you say works, I should be able to click chapter 1, go to the properties and set the end action to be to
Scene Selection 1, and end up on the next chapter title on the screen.

I tested it by previewing the Scene Selection Menu and selecting the first chapter. It played and it did return to the menu. That was great. The problem is when I clicked on Play Movie on the main menu to watch the entire video, it returned to the Scene Selection menu after the first chapter was finished. That is no good to me.

So, figuring I did something wrong, I clicked on the MENUS tab and click on scene selection menu, I see all of the chapters listed in the box below it. In th eporperties box, there is a link (which points to the actual chapter) and an overide box. No end action option.
What am I doing wrong?

Tony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]