FORUMS: list search recent posts

DLT (which?) or GPME method for creating DL for replication?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dax702
DLT (which?) or GPME method for creating DL for replication?
on Jun 10, 2007 at 8:22:39 pm

Up til now I've been just creating DVD-5 masters which the replication facility accepts. But now I will need to create a bigger project and needs to be dual layer. I've been reading up on the latest method about using GPME to create DDP on two discs.

Since outputting to DLT sure sounds a lot easier, I'm wondering if the cost of a DLT machine and tapes is a better way to go?

The question that I haven't been able to get answered is what specific brand and model DLT machine do I buy? Where do I buy it? And what tapes would I need to buy for it? I'm using Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

drumrob
Re: DLT (which?) or GPME method for creating DL for replication?
on Jun 11, 2007 at 4:05:03 pm

I don't know what GPME is.

The DLT you will want to buy is either the DLT4000 or DLT8000. I believe all the DLT writers are made by Quantum, though you will find them branded as Compaq, HP, NEC, etc. Neither the DLT4000 nor the DLT8000 are manufactured any longer. However they are the ones in use by DVD replicators and the ones you really should have. If you can't find one of these used (eBay usually has a bunch of them), then make sure to ask your dealer for a DLT that is 4000 and 8000 compatible. Then you can use either DLTIII or DLTIV tapes in them. You can go to Quantum's web site for more info and compatibilty questions. http://www.quantum.com/Products/TapeDrives/Index.aspx

Have fun!

Rob

Return to posts index

dax702
Re: DLT (which?) or GPME method for creating DL for replication?
on Jun 11, 2007 at 4:33:49 pm

I'm finding that these DLT 4000 machines are inexpensive and they're all used or refurbished like you said. Are they all SCSI-SE? I don't have a SCSI card so now I'm looking at a SCSI to USB or Firewire cable. Anyone here use this kind of setup?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]