FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best DVD burner?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Santos
What's the best DVD burner?
on May 29, 2007 at 12:14:50 am

Just finished a wedding video. Using Encore, I burned it to DVD with some problems: freezing frames, pixelizing on some parts, etc. I then burned an image of the project before using Nero to burn the image to DVD and it made some of the problems go away. I feel that the problem might be my current DVD burner. I get problems even when just watching DVDs with it. What's a good burner for Encore? My friend told me I can't go wrong with Pioneer. Are the new ones with "light-scribe" good enough for burning my movies (or are they just good for putting pictures on the disk)?

Return to posts index

David Garrett
Re: What's the best DVD burner?
on May 29, 2007 at 9:43:57 am

phew..! how long is a piece of string, I have used both pioneer and LG Electronics, and have had some issues with both brands, but this was down to the brand of media that i was using at the time... I try and stick with Ritek DVD discs as much as I can...what may work flawlessly for some may not work for others...!

Have you changed the brand of optical media that you have been using??

Return to posts index

cow
Arlen Bell
on May 29, 2007 at 6:54:53 pm

You asked a simple and straight forward question. However, as the previous reponse touches on, there may be a lot more involved here than just what is the best burner: you many have a hard drive access slow down due to a need to defrag, you may not have a fast enough processor (doubtful today), may have other programs -- especially virus/spyware checkers hogging resources, operating system may be corrupted somewhere and need a reinstall. And certainly the type of disc can be a significant factor -- use only the best. I like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. Check the forums for preferred brands - stay away from the problem/cheap stuff.
I have Pioneer 03's and 09's running flawlessly for several years now. I just picked up a Samsung w/lightscribe external USB which is doing great -- and FAST! burners are so inexpensive today that I don't know that it makes a great deal of difference in what hardware you use. I've even used I/O Magic with no problem.

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on May 31, 2007 at 2:46:14 am

YOu've mentioned the verbatim brand. It's kinda weird. I used Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-R and in all my attempts, all have suffered pixelation and freezing frames. I switched to a generic (1/3 the price of the verbatim) x-media and all the problems were gone. I guess it's in the kind of media after all. But it's weird that the expensive DVDs are the ones having problems.

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on May 31, 2007 at 12:09:23 pm

I also had many problems with the Verbatim brand of discs.. that is why i switched to Ritek.. other users will swear by Taiyo Yuden branded DVD's

Return to posts index

Arlen Bell
on May 31, 2007 at 3:38:59 pm

There are other forums that have covered the experiences with varous disc brands in detail and it's best to look there. Verbatim apparently has "branded" discs produced by various manufacturers in the past with widely varying results. Luckly, I've never encountered problems with them (nor Memorex which I'm currently using for dual layer printable DVD's). Obviously, if you encounter repeated problems with a particluar brand and no with another you need to use what works for you. I only brought this up in connection with the other non-burner issues that should be considered.

Return to posts index

JCI_pro
on Sep 25, 2007 at 9:17:35 pm

Hey there! I've tried many brands on different computers, and the best drive that responded the Best on all situations was a "Plextor PX-760A", while other Top on the line drives from Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, where around $80.00 US Dollars, this baby was $120.00, but let me tell you guys, it was worth the money. I do DVD Authoring using DVD Architect 4.0, and I burn my DVD's within that application, and I've been Authoring DVD's (for Replication of 10 to 50 Thousand) for over 6 months now with out a single problem.
Of course one VERY but VERY important thing that most people don't even know it's keeping your computer WELL maintained and by that I mean Defragmenting your drives, cleaning/fixing your registry, emptying out your recycle bin, checking disk for errors, getting rid of clutter and junk files, organizing your folders in a very neat way, etc, etc, etc, etc. I know folks it's tedious and it takes time, but you know what? IT'S WORTH IT!. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]