FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about the capabilities of Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GarrettChristopherson
Questions about the capabilities of Encore
on May 13, 2007 at 3:24:33 am

I am going to describe the type of operation that I would like a DVD to perform. By the way, I don't have encore yet, I'm just researching DVD creation programs to find the best fit for me.

After selecting the play option from a menu, the video begins. During a specific time in the video say halfway through the video and for a duration of about 15 seconds, I would like to make an option available to the viewer to press the enter key on their remote(there would only be one option (assuming that the enter key has no other function during the video playtime)) and open another video or menu with other selectable options. If they do not select the option, the video would continue without interruption. After selecting this option, there should the play-head should return to the beginning of the section of the main video where this option first appeared.

Thank You for taking the time to read (and hopefully reply) to this post!

Return to posts index

David Garrett
Re: Questions about the capabilities of Encore
on May 13, 2007 at 2:58:23 pm

not supported in Encore Version 2.0 (not sure if Version CS3 has this feature)...DVD LAB Pro does have this feature as does Sonic's scenarist

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 13, 2007 at 5:17:50 pm

I think you are talking about Buttons Over Video (BOV). As David mentioned, Encore 2.0 does not have that feature -- and in addition to David's list (Scenarist and DVDLab PRO 2.x), another PC application that has BOV functionality is DVD Architect 4 (Full).

How long is your total video duration, and can you "mask" a transition to different assets using fade to-from black? If so, then you might be able to "fake" it by strategically setting up playback playlists that utilize video timelines and Motion Menus (with the hidden button).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

GarrettChristopherson
on May 14, 2007 at 12:51:21 am

[George W.] "If so, then you might be able to "fake" it by strategically setting up playback playlists that utilize video timelines and Motion Menus (with the hidden button)."

Would that be with Encore 2.0?

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 14, 2007 at 3:09:43 am

yes -- but it's a "workaround"

The best approach would be to use an authoring application with BOV functionality...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

John Rich
on May 14, 2007 at 3:42:45 am

If you look at this tutorial (the Encore part of the moving lights tutorial) this might be what you want. jmrser.com. (Click Tutorials)

You would have to use the movie during which you want the selection to take place to be the background movie for the menu and you could only have the selection take place at the end part of the movie and not in the middle.
John

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 14, 2007 at 4:53:53 am

[John Rich] "You would have to use the movie during which you want the selection to take place to be the background movie for the menu and you could only have the selection take place at the end part of the movie and not in the middle."

If you set the END-ACTION for the menu to link to a Timeline, you can "fake it" so that the motion menu (i.e. fake video with button selection) comes in the middle of a movie. You have to plan it properly to mask the transition between video to menu to video (i.e. fading to/from black).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

John Rich
on May 14, 2007 at 12:41:31 pm

George,
Thanks for the great idea. I guess I thought, though, if he wanted to make it as seamless as possible, then putting the selection time toward the end of the background movie would do that job.
Am I correct in assuming that all the programs that have the BOV capabilities are in the 10,000 dollar range?
Thanks again.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 14, 2007 at 12:57:06 pm

[John Rich] "Am I correct in assuming that all the programs that have the BOV capabilities are in the 10,000 dollar range?
Thanks again."

Hi John,

DVDLab Pro is only $245 -- and it has alot of other functionality if you like to create your own dvd scripting.

DVD Architect 4 (Full) comes with Sony Vegas 7 (Full). It can be purchased for a few hundred dollars (depending on where you purchase it -- and as a bonus you also get the functionality of Vegas 7 for editing).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 14, 2007 at 2:30:30 pm

Forgot to mention that you can also do it for FREE using tools such as PGCedit to add the BOV after authoring and burning to your hard drive. But you will have to know how to setup the proper commands for the BOV to give you the navigation you want...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

John Rich
on May 14, 2007 at 3:32:36 pm

George,
Thanks again. You are making me think I made a mistake getting wrapped up in Encore 4 years ago. Overall, can Encore do stuff these other programs can't? It seems pretty cool, but then the only thing I've compared it to is MyDVD.

John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on May 14, 2007 at 7:20:40 pm

Hi John,

It's one of those situations where one piece of software can do things that the others can't, and vice versa, the only one that can do them all is Sonic Scenarist but that cost's "thousands of $'s" and probably the same amount again to learn how to use it properly.

I dumped DVD Lab some years ago in favour of Encore, as Encore enabled me to do the things i couldn't accomplish in DVD LAB. But now I would say that the tables are reversed somewhat, although the tight integration with Encore and other Adobe appz are the strong point.

Make no mistake, DVD Lab Pro is one powerfull piece of software for the intial price(that has a small hardrive footprint) unlike Encore that is now become bloated. It's one of those "you pays your money and you takes your choice" scenarios..

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 15, 2007 at 12:36:38 am

[John Rich] "Overall, can Encore do stuff these other programs can't? It seems pretty cool, but then the only thing I've compared it to is MyDVD."

Hi John,

As David said -- outside of Scenarist, there's always going to be "differences" from package to package. Personally, I use a variety of tools for Video/Audio Editing, Conversions/Encoding, and DVD Authoring -- I haven't found a single package/bundle that can do everything. NOTE: some of those CS3 Packages/Bundles look very interesting :)

Encore DVD 2.0 does have some features not found in the likes of DVD Workshop 2.x, DVD Architect 4.0, and DVDLab PRO 2.x. One of its strengths (as David mentioned) is its tight integration with other Adobe applications. There are things Encore cannot do that the others can, but perhaps the CS3 version will close those gaps (I heard it adds BluRay Authoring, but other than that I'm not sure what other SD DVD features were added).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]