FORUMS: list search recent posts

Man, this seems to be the HARDEST thing in the world to do, but should be simple!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bluestupa
Man, this seems to be the HARDEST thing in the world to do, but should be simple!
on May 10, 2007 at 5:40:07 am

Please help. All I want to do is to add a weblink/document link to my DVD creations. I have DVDit, Encore, and a failing-to-activate copy of Sonic eDVD, so none of that is helping. I understand you can't do it from the Encore interface, I was lead to believe you could from DVDit (which was a lie), and Sonic is unresponsive via Email for product activation. So is there another alternative for creating these kinds of links (tools, methods, etc.) I need to get this done asap. thanks!
BS

Return to posts index

David Garrett
Re: Man, this seems to be the HARDEST thing in the world to do, but should be simple!
on May 10, 2007 at 12:44:49 pm

This has been lifted from the Encore help files... not certain this will work with web links...

"To add ROM data to a DVD
Though most DVDs typically contain multimedia content organized for viewing, you can use the large capacity of DVDs to archive content or add supplemental content, such as related PDF files or software applications. You can include additional content on a typical DVD or you can create a ROM-only DVD that contains only archived content (in other words, no menus or navigation).
ROM material is only available on personal computers. Furthermore, it

Return to posts index

Bluestupa
Re: Man, this seems to be the HARDEST thing in the world to do, but should be simple!
on May 10, 2007 at 1:36:02 pm

David, thanks for that. But that is just Adobe gorp saying that you can add files to the DVD. There is no way to link them to an encore menu (or to anything in a VTS). This is useful if you can get a third party program to build the links and associate them via chapter markers with the video. That's what eDVD says it does, and I just got the activation to work so I can at least test that. But what I want to know is: IS THIS THE ONLY WAY? eDVD and Interactual Player seem pretty old. There has not been an update to Interactual v2.6 in years, as far as I can tell. The link to the eDVD 4.1 update from within a virgin copy of eDVD 4 is DEAD, as is the link to the interactual player update. Sonic seems to have been taken over by ROXIO, or the other way around, and both companies are unresponsive to emails and seem very confused over the eDVD product in general. For example, you can still find references to the "fact" that eDVD is bundled with DIDit Pro 6, but for the last year it has not been included, and Roxio support has no comment. I can't even find a reference to purchasing eDVD standalone on the Roxio site anymore.

Is there some dirty little secret we don't know about in regards to linking content like presos, docs, weblinks, etc. to DVD rom titles? As far as I could tell, it's in the DVD spec. Why has only one company done it (Sonic also aquired Interactual, as far as I can tell). This whole thing smacks of conspiracy to me.
BS

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on May 10, 2007 at 1:52:05 pm

sorry I can't be of anymore help to you, as I don't use Sonic products.. have you tried the discussion forums at Roxio??? (http://forums.support.roxio.com/) perhaps someone there will be of more help ;-)

Return to posts index

Bluestupa
on May 10, 2007 at 4:26:08 pm

thanks for trying David, I do appreciate that and this forum. The Roxio one is not so good. The more I test eDVD the more I am thinking this product is not good enough for my productions, there are all kinds of strange things that can go wrong with Interactual v2.6 player (things that would frustrate my clients) - to list a few:
* Corporate clients may not be able to install the player due to lockdown PCs.
* Autoplay may be set to another DVD player, like Cyberlink, and if that kicks in, the interface to Interactual never comes up, making your ehnhanced DVD look like a turd.
* There does not seem to be any error messages (or way to create them) if a link does not work, for example, nothing happens (ie, for example if powerpoint is not installed and there is a link to a .ppt.
* I could go on, and I will over at Roxio, but the short of it is, this product just won't cut it for my fussy clients who know little about this type of application, and don't accept failure very well.
thx
BS

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on May 11, 2007 at 10:00:26 am

Hi,

I'm not a fan of the eDVD mentality, purely because it requires the user to have to install software to use the content. In my mind, if you stick a DVD in a player to watch a movie, it just works. It should be the same for the content too.

Try this software here http://www.intellidisc.com/ - I've wondered about it for some time now but not used it. I think, however, it will do what you want.

Let us know.

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eighteyedseabass.com

Return to posts index

Bluestupa
on May 11, 2007 at 3:38:47 pm

Hi, thanks for that! I will give it a test and try and post back, but i got this deadline now for an enhanced DVD from my biggest client. I got the eDVD activated, so I off and running (scared) there. I totally agree with you, I think installing software may be impossible for clients, exs. those with locked down PCs. Sonic is insane. And the support for eDVD is non-existent. I was even thinking this could be done with Camtasia somehow (I think they use a like scheme with CDroms, but I am running out of time to explore...I gotta get one out!
BS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]