FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with mismatched video aspect ratio

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dynesh
Problem with mismatched video aspect ratio
on Apr 8, 2007 at 3:12:47 am

So, I've been following Andrew Kramer's great tutorial's on the serious effects and compositing DVD, in particular the dvd menu creation one. I've followed everything to a tee, as far as I can tell. What I'm trying to do, if you don't know which tutorial I'm talking about, is create a transition movie to use in encore dvd. I have three movies, the Main Menu, the transition, and the movie that will be where it transitions to. I've rendered all three out using mpeg2-dvd setting. I brought these into Encore, then set a button up.

The Button's end action is the second menu. Then I try to go to the transition tab on the button's options and pick the transition movie I made in After effects, but it gives me the mismatched video aspect ratio error.

I don't understand this, since all three movies were created using the same settings. I tried to go to interpret footage in encore for the movies and menu's alike, but its grayed out for all of them. Any thoughts on what is going wrong?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Problem with mismatched video aspect ratio
on Apr 8, 2007 at 3:00:21 pm

Your menu and button transition aspect ratio must match.

Return to posts index

DyNesh
on Apr 8, 2007 at 10:23:06 pm

Yeah, but I can't figure out why they don't match. I made the menus and the transitions all with after effects, all with the same settings.

Return to posts index

DyNesh
on Apr 8, 2007 at 10:52:09 pm

Ok, I fixed it some. I encoded with mpeg2 with ntsc, instead of mpeg2-dvd, which is what I was doing. I'm not sure what difference this will make with quality.

If anyone has any thoughts as to why my mpeg2-dvd would not work, please let me know.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Amy McClung
on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:09:45 pm

Hey guys,

I see this was posted back in 2007, but I was struggling with the same issue today in 2014. Just incase anyone else runs into the same problem, here's what worked for me:

If you're creating your Encore menu in After Effects, BEFORE you export to Photoshop (COMPOSITION > SAVE FRAME AS > PHOTOSHOP LAYERS), what you want to do is make sure you double-check your Pixel Aspect Ratio under composition settings (COMPOSITION > COMPOSITION SETTINGS).

I had set my pixel resolution to 720 x 480, but the aspect ratio was configured for D1/DV NTSC when it should have been set to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen. Things weren't matching up in Encore because of this oversight. After I fixed it and re-exported, that error in Encore disappeared.

You might not be working with Widescreen, but the same principle applies. Just make sure your pixel aspect ratio for your exported menu matches the pixel aspect ratio of any rendered assets (for example, button transitions).

Hope that helps,
Amy McClung
Blue Wave Productions, LLC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]