FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anti-Alias Text Not an Option?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
heavythinker
Anti-Alias Text Not an Option?
on Apr 8, 2007 at 1:22:52 am

Hi all-

A bit new to Encore but have been learning and solving my own issues as I go except for one. I prefer to design my menus in Photoshop CS and then import into Encore. If I do not anti-alias the text in Photoshop it looks horrible in Encore. I read on another forum that "The DVD spec doesn't allow anti-aliasing of text for subpicture highlights due to the limited color palette available." I need to anti-alias both the "off" state text as well as the subpicture text in order for the text to be the exactly the same size. So is there no option for smooth, crisp anti-aliased text in Encore? A lot of searches on Google brought up subtitle text and there is an anti-alias feature for subtitle text but what about plain old menu text? The only palette that seems remotely useful for this is the "Menu Color Set" but there is not an anti-alias palette option like there is for sub-title text. I know there HAS to be a way to work around this. I am using Encore 1.5 and my Classroom in a Book is very project driven and doesn't even touch on anti-alias text in Encore. Help! Thanks nicole

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Anti-Alias Text Not an Option?
on Apr 8, 2007 at 2:57:23 pm

Encore has a Character palette. From there, you can set the anti-aliasing for text.

However, you cannot specify anti-aliasing for subpictures, as DVD-Video subpictures are 2 bit text, meaning they have a single color and opacity value.

Return to posts index

heavythinker
on Apr 8, 2007 at 9:14:54 pm

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. The only problem with that is that the anti-alias text will not match in exact size with the subpicture text so when you mouse over the menu the text size will change. When you switch between anti-alias and alias it kerns the text a bit. I guess I will just bag it and just deal with it. I did read something about specifying a 3rd color as your alias color in the palette menu that would help use that specific color as a separate layer for your anti-alias text color, but it didnt make a whole lot of sense and I'm on a time crunch. Thanks for reponding! nicole

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Apr 10, 2007 at 7:22:38 pm

This is not true.
Subpictures can have 4 colors. Not exactly state of the art, but the two remaining colors can make for a decent looking subpicture.
Now the trick with matching is that you have to have both your 'normal' state and highlite both as subpicture, but with different mapping of the colors.

Chris Linke has made quite a nice page (and a darn good photoshop plugin) about it.

Google him or get the link from my links page in the site below.

hth

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Apr 10, 2007 at 9:34:55 pm

In relation of going from a Photoshop layer to a subpicture layer, this is true.

That is the situation I was trying to explain to the OP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]