FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to keep from re-transcoding?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PeterM62
How to keep from re-transcoding?
on Apr 6, 2007 at 9:40:32 pm

I'm having trouble understanding why Encore wants to re-transcode my movie. I exported my PP project as an m2v (because I'd read here that this was better than avi for lots of mixed media, slow motion, etc). All of my assets in this project add up to less than 4.4 GB. I'm trying to build the project on a 4.7 GB disk. I set the transcode properties on my m2v asset and my wav asset to "original." (These two assets add up to 4.3 GB.) But when I build the disk it starts transcoding the whole thing into a 3.6 GB package. Is there something I have to do to make sure it doesn't re-transcode everything? I noticed when I added chapters in Encore it placed them in slightly different locations than I'd specified, which I thought was good, meaning it was planning to not transcode my original file, instead adding chapters to existing packet headers (or whatever they're called). The exporting from PP took 12 hours, so I'm really hoping I don't have to repeat it to get a smaller file. One other issue: I aborted the build process when I saw it was re-transcoding all the audio. Now when I try to build again, I get a message early on that the build failed because "the file already exists." Do I need to delete something that had been written during my aborted build? Thanks much for your help. Pete

Return to posts index

PeterM62
Re: How to keep from re-transcoding?
on Apr 6, 2007 at 10:11:45 pm

PS -- I've since tried switching my m2v and wav files to "Don't transcode." Interestingly the build size now jumps up to 4.2 gigs, which is still a little low (but maybe it's a rough estimate?), as my math says it should be 4.4. But I'm not able to get as far as finding out whether it still wants to re-transcode because I get the "file exists" error as soon as it transcodes the first menu. I saw some people with this error have gotten rid of it by just re-starting the program, but this doesn't work for me. I'm hesitant to go deleting files when I'm not sure what they are. P

Return to posts index

George W.
on Apr 7, 2007 at 2:01:16 pm

If you're hesitant to delete some cache/stored files, then try saving the project under a new name, and then compiling the newly named project.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

PeterM62
on Apr 7, 2007 at 4:47:51 pm

Thanks George. A little update because this "file exists" error was tough to deal with. Closing the program didn't work. Rebooting didn't work. Finally my solution was to delete the motion backgrounds I'd been using. This caused a new error, which, apparently is an Encore bug: "0x00000020 -- file being used by another process." So I renamed the project (which, I guess, rebuilds it) and then was finally able to burn a successful DVD. I didn't have to turn my menus into templates and re-link everything; just renaming the project worked for me. I'm still confused by the smaller file size, but clearly it did not re-transcode (the burning went very quickly), so there must be some estimating going on that confused me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]