FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extracting MPEG-2 file from DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Rinquest
Extracting MPEG-2 file from DVD
on Apr 3, 2007 at 11:11:19 am

This may be a dumb question or a process that makes everyone go yucch!
I have a corporate client who has a DVD. The master tape is no longer available. They would like the clip on this DVD to be incorporated on a new compilation DVD along with various other company segments.

Now I can extract the clip as an avi but it looks like a dogs breakfast and recompressing to MPEG-2 may well result in a further nightmare.

First question is there a package that can extract the original MPEG-2 file from the DVD and would Encore recompress the file if it were imported into the timeline. The other clips being directly imported from Premiere.

Many thanx

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Extracting MPEG-2 file from DVD
on Apr 3, 2007 at 12:11:31 pm

You need a 'demux' program. This will extract the vobs into a format of your choosing. If you do a google search for demux dvd shareware, you will find quite a few different programs.

I don't think it will be the original mpegs2's... Think the demux creates new ones, but they will be good enough for goverment work. Once you are finished, you can bring them right into encore.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

Alex Rinquest
on Apr 3, 2007 at 8:29:31 pm

Thank you - will definately give it a shot. Is there a qualification regarding which government it will work for?

Return to posts index

tony929
on Apr 28, 2007 at 6:03:44 am

Try this free tools VOB2MPG and VIRTUALDUB-MPG2.
This is how I did it:
1. Open the VOB files in VOB2MPG then convert it to an mpg file.
2. Open the mpg file I got in step 1 in VIRTUALDUB-MPG2. Load the "panasonic dv codec". Resize to 720 x480. Then save the file as avi(it should be in a dv-format after save.)
3. Resulting dv-avi file can be edited in premiere.

Return to posts index

Alex Rinquest
on Apr 30, 2007 at 10:38:48 am

Thank you - we did go the other route and the editor battled to cut the MPEG clip in Encore. Now I know for next time. Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]