FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom menu selection highlight icons?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt stoltz
Custom menu selection highlight icons?
on Mar 21, 2007 at 9:20:05 pm

Hey all --I have noticed a few things with encore 2-first off I hate the sync text button --
but thats not my problem --I do custom menus and I like to use --lets say a logo to use as the highlight for the chapters - since i have been using 2.0 all my icons come up as a solid color and never as i created it in photoshop --the icons have alpha channels on them (or transparencies on them) what am i missing -its gotta be something small

thanks

matt

Return to posts index

matt stoltz
Re: Custom menu selection highlight icons?
on Mar 21, 2007 at 9:36:33 pm

also one more thing --in encore if you click the layer --it has surrounding boxes for your layers --well those boxes are running into my other chapters and showing the next chapter icon as well -it only does all this im explaining when i preview it

i dont get it

matt

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Mar 21, 2007 at 10:56:19 pm

the DVD spec only allows the use of solid colours for highlights.. this is not a limitation of Encore or any DVD authoring software. You have to cheat a little to get pictures for highlights and that is to use multiple menus along with the auto activating feature of Encore.
And the DVD spec will add a larger bounding box to all buttons, just make your buttons a tad smaller and make sure you dont have button overlap, you can test for this by clicking on the "show button routing" on the bottom of the menu preview window.
If you need some tuts to help you with encore then please feel free to visit my site and download what interests you..(http://asvideoproductions.com/doogs/downloads.htm) some for Encore 1.0-1.5-2.0, but they are all the same principle for all versions. hope this helps.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 22, 2007 at 12:11:25 am

"Switched Menus" works, but sometimes there can be a small "delay" while the menu switches (auto activates) to the other menu -- the amount of delay can vary between DVD Players.

There's also the "Inverse Selection" trick, where basically you have a solid background color. All your buttons are covered by the same solid-color highlight in the NORMAL state. Then the SELECTED/ACTIVATED states have full transparency so the object can be seen.

Here's a link to a tutorial for this technique using DVD Lab PRO:
http://mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/inverse.html

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Mar 22, 2007 at 2:21:42 pm

George, that was a pretty handy tip that you linked to, however.... it won't work period with Encore 2.0, i have spent hours working on the tip in Encore 2.0.. it all works fine until i selected and activated one of the links to a timeline.. for some reason Encore 2.0 shows up all the dummy highlight buttons at the same time.. I have tried everything to stop the other black overlays from dissapearing from the menu, I tried the same thing with Encore 1.5 and it worked flawlessly....FIRST TIME!! must be down to something different in version 2.0, or it could be that i am doing something wrong...

I will spend a little more time on it all..

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 22, 2007 at 4:10:55 pm

Hi David,

I think you are doing it properly -- I noticed Encore 2.0's Preview does what you are describing (as do *some* DVD Players). Compile it to your hard drive, and play it with PowerDVD or WinDVD to see if it does the same thing.

I was told that *some* set-top DVD Players will also do that -- but I'm not sure why. I have two DVD Players that show everything, and two that play it properly...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Mar 22, 2007 at 4:50:24 pm

Hi George,
I have linked 2 small screen recordings here to illustrate what is happening with Encore 2.0 and 1.5, you may need the techsmith codec for your system to enable you to view the recordings.. (http://www.techsmith.com/codecs/tscc/default.asp)

Link for Encore 2.0 video (http://asvideoproductions.com/doogs/samples/encore%202.avi)

Link for Encore 1.5 video (http://asvideoproductions.com/doogs/samples/encore%201.5.avi)

hope this makes things a little easier to understand, oh.. i don't have or use any DVD player software on my system.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 22, 2007 at 5:02:04 pm

Hi David,

I can't access those at the moment (maybe when I get home). But I think your description sounds right -- perhaps the PREVIEW is different between 1.5 vs. 2.0?

I did this using the Trial of 2.0 -- and in the Preview of my project, when selecting a button, all black buttons were gone :(

But when playing the DVD on my PC with PowerDVD and WinDVD, they played fine, and also on two of my dvd players (unfortunately, the other two dvd players did the same thing -- selecting a button showed all of the hidden buttons :(

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 22, 2007 at 9:54:53 pm

Here's a sample of this technique using the Encore DVD 2.0 TRIAL

~10mb and Active for 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/2pfro7

NOTE: as mentioned, when selecting a button, some players will unhide ALL the other buttons for a brief moment before linking to the button target (it seems to be DVD Player dependent).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Mar 23, 2007 at 10:28:49 am

Hi Matt... sorry about this but i am not trying to hijack your original post... :-)

George, that was a pretty neat menu.. only thing was it kinda confused me as to what i was selecting, as all 3 highlights where showing at the same time...
I created projects in Encore 1.5 and 2.0 and they worked OK.. there was a slight glitch where all the dummy subpic highlights showed for a split second when returning to the main menu after playing the timeline, this was apparent in both projects.. other than that it worked pretty well.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:20:18 am

Hi David,

I'm not sure why all 3 were showing at the same time (was that on he computer, or in a set-top dvd player)?

I used PowerDVD and WinDVD to play it, and only one was showing at a time.

I've done this in DVDLabPro, and burned to DVD+RW, all worked properly. I'll try burning this one I created in Encore DVD 2.0 (TRIAL) to disc, and see how it plays in my DVD Players.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:47:06 am

on my settop DVD... the menu plays fine with no probs .. it's only when it reaches the loop point that all 3 subpics show up....and that is the point where it all gets confusing..

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:50:33 am

Ahhh -- maybe I forgot to set an END Action for the menu? I only just started using the TRIAL of Encore 2.0 -- I'm not that familiar with the software yet (I usually use DVDLab Pro or DVD Architect 4). Sorry about that :(

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:58:35 am

click on the menu in the menu window and then click on the MOTION tab (over to the right hand side) and then set the LOOP to FOREVER.. see if that makes a difference...

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 23, 2007 at 12:13:39 pm

Thanks David -- I think you're right and that will probably do the trick (I'll have to try it later tonight when I get back to my editing machine). I would normally setup the menu to be at least a minute long, but for download purposes, I cut it down to 10 seconds on the menu motion -- and maybe doing so I mistakenly got rid of the "looping" settings.

Hoping to try the software a little more this weekend -- my 30-day trial ends in a few days :(

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]