FORUMS: list search recent posts

eDVD + encore = nightmare?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MReilly
eDVD + encore = nightmare?
on Mar 20, 2007 at 1:37:00 pm

need a little help here folks,
i know that eDVD is out- but I was hoping some of y'all still used it/remembered it and could lend some advice.

I am trying to:

make a dvd in encore
export as video T_S folder
open video T_S folder in eDVD
add web links, check links
export disc folder/image (tried both) from eDVD
in encore- under burn disc choose burn from image/folder

this is what I did, what I got was a disc with data files from the video t_S folder from eDVD

sorry if this is confusing, any help, obvious mistakes I made please pass it on

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: eDVD + encore = nightmare?
on Mar 20, 2007 at 2:57:37 pm

Reading this real quick, while in eDVD did you "build" the project. Hitting save just saves the workspace and the link stuff, but doesn't actually build the ROM content.

If you have done that I can get into more specifics.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

MReilly
on Mar 20, 2007 at 3:06:09 pm

yes, i did build in eDVD, which is why i'm confused...read the tutorial on dvd-makers.com and followed advice from here about a month ago but still no results...?

thanks a mil,

MReilly

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 20, 2007 at 4:19:07 pm

All rightie.

Create your DVD in encore, make sure for the ROM content links you create timelines with a minimum of 3 second timelines. For safety's sake, I create timelines with a 4 second black mpeg2 video. For each ROM asset, create 1 timeline.

With everything finished, "Build DVD" choose "Build DVD Folder".

Open eDVD, on the opening screen choose your Video-TS folder. Choose other options to taste.

eDVD and encore aren't exactly in sync, so all the timelines come into eDVD as "Timeline 1---Chapter 1" "Timeline 2---Chapter 1". At this point I will link one of the timelines to a folder and hit "simulate". Now navigate around your DVD and make note of which buttone connects to which timeline.

Link all the timelines to your ROM content.

Hit the build DVD button.

Rather then using Nero, I prefer to build the DVD-Rom in encore. Open encore and under the disc settings, DVD content browse to your DVD Rom folder. At this point you need to select the "Image" folder.

Burn the DVD

Pop into a computer with that has DVD player software and let Interactual player install. Should work at this point.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

MReilly
on Mar 20, 2007 at 5:13:38 pm

this is pretty much what i've been doing, however i'm not trying to add rom content (unless that's how you have to add interActual and all that jazz) i'm only trying to add weblinks. other than that- what i've done already...

i'll try again and see, maybe i've missed a step somewhere

thanks

thanks a mil,

MReilly

Return to posts index

MReilly
on Mar 20, 2007 at 5:48:44 pm

Ok,
started from the begining, followed your instructions, this build resulted in a burned dvd which plays my menus/timelines fine, and a disc that i can click on (in finder) and open, view folders like: video T_S, common, win, mac

But I still can't navigate in my dvd to open the weblinks. I can get to the page where they should open and nothing. Any ideas?

oh, i should say that when I built from the image folder I only got my dvd content (videos/menus) not even the folders mentioned above. When I got those included I had added them under rom content and "built from current project". Dumb question- does Rom content have to be added? if so links to rom content? I don't know if that's how interActual installs itself, and if so at what point in eDVD (ie ch 1, etc) should i like to that folder?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 20, 2007 at 5:58:34 pm

Yes, ROM content has to be added. You cannot use weblinks from a DVD, it needs to be a DVD-ROM.

Also, if you are just using a regular player on your computer, weblinks won't work, it will just play the blank timeline. The computer needs to be using the InterActual player. That should automatically install if it currently isn't on your computer when you put in the DVD rom.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

MReilly
on Mar 20, 2007 at 6:06:54 pm

so my question then is: is needing a DVD Rom instead of a DVD just a product of eDVD? (when i added weblinks in dvd studio pro i used a DVD)

second question: at what point do i link to the rom content in eDVD? or is adding dvd-rom content in encore:disc:add content enough?

sorry this is so elementary, I've got a client waiting on a project and this is the very last step.

thanks a mil,

MReilly

Return to posts index

MReilly
on Mar 20, 2007 at 6:33:20 pm

please don't kill me! i'll do something good for the universe as a thank you for helping

also: THANK YOU!

ok, in an earlier post you stated "link all timelines to your rom content"

did you mean all the timelines that should open a link? or every single timeline/chapter eDVD shows?

Again, sorry, just trying to be clear

thanks a mil,

MReilly

Return to posts index

MReilly
on Mar 20, 2007 at 7:59:52 pm

OK! sheesh. finally got it working, thanks a mil, now the problem is getting interActual to work on macs/pc, the computer I built the project on seems to work but it gets hairy when i need to install the program....

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 21, 2007 at 1:57:19 pm

Sounds like you figured it out, You just need to set the links that will open up files, folders, websites. Leave the others alone, they are the links to your video timelines.

If you haven't set chapter points in encore. Each timeline/title will have 2 default chapter points at the first and last frame. For most DVD-ROM content find the correct title and link to the first chapter point. The second chapter point pretty much defines the end action you set in encore.

Occasionally, on longer videos I have added chapter points in the middle of my video that will open a PDF or document that is mentioned in the video.

Needing a DVD vs DVD-Rom isn't a fuction of eDVD, when you burn the DVD it will be one or the other. If it only plays video, it's basically just a DVD. The ROM, Read Only Content, is meant for computers, ie..PDF's, websites, email links. When you were using studio-pro and created the weblinks, you were actually creating a DVD-Rom. I'm not familiar with StudioPro but it sounds like they just handle everything in one program.

Not sure why InterActual is giving you problems. Ive burnt DVD's with eDVD content often, pop them into computers and except for one system it auto-installed everytime. For that exception, it was a matter of closing my default DVD player, navigating to the DVD drive and double clicking, then it auto-installed.

The only problem I could foresee is in the burning of the DVD's, where you might need to burn a hybrid DVD that works on both PC/Mac platforms. The eDVD content will not need to be modified but the burning settings might. I use a Rimage system so this is fairly easy, not sure how to do it from Encore or Nero.

Glad I could help, glad you got your project done in time. Nothing like a deadline to motivate ya to learn something new. Been there, done that.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]