FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thought Linking Timelines would be easy

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JesDJ88
Thought Linking Timelines would be easy
on Mar 15, 2007 at 3:47:29 am

I am using 1.5

I have a client who wishes to change the graphics in the first 30 seconds of a project. I saw this coming so I saved the m2v and wav files on my drive, and when he got back to me it was my plan to redo the first 30 seconds (of the whole 2 hours) and burn it once again.

I couldn't put 2-m2vs on one timeline (this didn't come as a suprise), but more to my astonishment I'm having trouble linking two timelines without a menu. I want to first play the new 30 second timeline then link it to a chapter 30 seconds into the old file therefore bypassing the old graphics. (I thought I was being clever). I cannot get it to work. Does anybody have a workaround? It'll be tough to go back and get the whole thing squared away again. ugh!

I tried to assemble them in Preimere but that didn't seem to work either although it could be me. Can anybody help?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Thought Linking Timelines would be easy
on Mar 15, 2007 at 12:20:09 pm

Try trimming the first 30 seconds of the original timeline, back to the chapter marker that you want to use as a link. Then link the new timeline to the old one. Let us know if that works.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

JesDJ88
on Mar 15, 2007 at 4:23:03 pm

No it did not. I had tried that. Is it possible I have to use the Overide options but they have to come from a menu system to work correctly? It is possible I am just doing something wrong but I have tried several different options to no avail. The people watching this program are elderly so I need to get it to start up on it's own

I set Timeline One (30 sec) to first play and linked the end of the timeline to timeline 2 chapter one, chapter one after cutting the first 30 seconds, chapter two at 30 seconds, and all I get in the preview window is a stop at the end of timeline one. Should I try burning it anyway?

I will fix this guys program old school but I'd still like to figure it out for future reference. hmmmmm

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 15, 2007 at 5:04:12 pm

Are you currently using any overrides anywhere in your project?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

JesDJ88
on Mar 15, 2007 at 5:36:45 pm

I have tried it that way yes....truthfully the Override option does get a little hard to wrap my head around at times. At present however my overrides and menu remote options are set to "Not Set" and I'm still at square one.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 15, 2007 at 6:11:44 pm

1. Start a new project
2. Import your assets
3. Create a new timeline (we'll call this 'timeline1') - this makes it First Play
4. Drag your asset into timeline1
5. Create another new timeline (we'll call this 'timeline2')
6. Drag your other asset into timeline2
7. Set the end action of timeline1 to timeline2

Preview this, or export a DVD RW and test it in a player.

Does that work for you?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Mar 15, 2007 at 6:18:27 pm

I can achieve what you want to do using either method - linking directly to chapter 2 or trimming+sliding, then deleting chapter 2 and linking to the "new" chapter 1.

Did you have any overrides set when you first tried to link directly to chapter 2? If so, go back and try it again without any overrides set.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

JesDJ88
on Mar 15, 2007 at 11:39:46 pm

OMG! It worked!
Dub Dumb Dumb!
I'm sorry you guys.

When I first saw the elementary directions you asked me to follow I nearly rolled my eyes and thought it can't be something THAT simple, but apparently it was.

I must have pushed a wrong button or something. I do have a tendancy to adjust things as I go to keep the error messages from popping up in the Check Project feature. It's probably a bad habit. I see that now.

FYI I have now done nothing to the Timeline 1 properties but advance them to the second timeline as instructed (chapter two at 30 seconds). I HAVE changed both the End Action and Menu Remote properties in Timeline two to "Stop". Also, the error messages I get now are:

DVDVolume-Title Remote not set
timeline 1-Menu Remote not set
Timeline 2-End Action not set

In theory I should be able to now edit the first 30 seconds in timeline 2 to prevent someone from backing into the incorrect graphics correct? Just a thought I'll play with it.

Thanks again
I love the forums here. You have a convert for life!
Jes Webb

Return to posts index

JesDJ88
on Mar 15, 2007 at 11:42:06 pm

OMG! It worked!
Dumb Dumb Dumb!
I'm sorry you guys.

When I first saw the elementary directions you asked me to follow I nearly rolled my eyes and thought it can't be something THAT simple, but apparently it was.

I must have pushed a wrong button or something. I do have a tendancy to adjust things as I go to keep the error messages from popping up in the Check Project feature. It's probably a bad habit. I see that now.

FYI I have now done nothing to the Timeline 1 properties but advance them to the second timeline as instructed (chapter two at 30 seconds). I HAVE changed both the End Action and Menu Remote properties in Timeline two to "Stop". Also, the error messages I get now are:

DVDVolume-Title Remote not set
timeline 1-Menu Remote not set
Timeline 2-End Action not set

In theory I should be able to now edit the first 30 seconds in timeline 2 to prevent someone from backing into the incorrect graphics correct? Just a thought I'll play with it.

Thanks again
I love the forums here. You have a convert for life!
Jes Webb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]