FORUMS: list search recent posts

overrides question

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
antonis
overrides question
on Mar 9, 2007 at 12:22:55 pm

The dvd i m working on is for two languages ENG and FR
Whether you choose eng or fr you see the same video followed by an other which is the difference between the two languages. The language is selected in the first menu.
So for the first language I have a timeline with many chapters and i use chapter playlists to access them. The end action of each chapter playlist is a new menu where i need to access every chapter on its own so i use end actions for every chapter of the timeline. All work perfectly.
For the second language I make a second chapter playlist and i use overrides for each chapter that i have used in the first language..
Is there any limitation of how many overrides one could have?? I have in mind the limitations concerning timelines and chapter playlists.
Consider that i neeed to use 80 chapter playlist

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: overrides question
on Mar 9, 2007 at 12:43:53 pm

You don't need overrides to do what you want. Overrides will most likely cause you serious disc navigation problems.

For the menu buttons that you want to link to the same video but a different audio track, choose the Specify Link option from the Link drop-down list on the button's Properties sheet. From the dialog that opens, you can choose any audio track that you want.

You can do this for any and all of your menu buttons. If I understand your setup correctly, that means you can probably cut the number of your Chapter Playlists in half.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

antonis
on Mar 9, 2007 at 1:14:55 pm

Unfortunatelly I don't want to change only the audio for each lang. but a video.
The 2 lang have all the same except for an one minute video. That's why i come up with overrides.
Is that possible that overrides can cause such a mess??

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 9, 2007 at 4:50:13 pm

Using overrides if you don't understand how they work will almost certainly create a mess.

Return to posts index

antonis
on Mar 9, 2007 at 5:07:12 pm

How do they work?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Mar 9, 2007 at 8:01:30 pm

An override temporarily replaces the end action of the targeted object.

If you fully understand what that statement means, then you know how to use overrides. You may make a mistake here or there using them, but you should be able to fix it by examining all of your links and overrides.

If you don't fully understand what that means, or you if you only think that you understand it, then overrides will cause you endless navigation troubles.

Even if you do understand overrides, most times whatever you are using them for can be accomplished more easily and cleanly using a combination of chapter end actions, chapter playlists, and playlists.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Mar 10, 2007 at 2:09:12 pm

[antonis] "So for the first language I have a timeline with many chapters and i use chapter playlists to access them. The end action of each chapter playlist is a new menu where i need to access every chapter on its own so i use end actions for every chapter of the timeline."

So do you plan to always play a chapter, and then go to a menu? Meaning you never play the entire video straight through?

Are the menus different depending on the selected language (meaning English vs. French words on the menus)?

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

antonis
on Mar 12, 2007 at 9:40:00 am

No the menus are the same...only a video clip is different each time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]