FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1 ac3?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roenld
5.1 ac3?
on Feb 20, 2007 at 2:11:00 am

hello all

i am looking for info on 5.1 - i did a search but i was probably not asking the right questions. does encore2 accept 5.1? i have a client who has been discussing this project for a few weeks but sprung 5.1 on me this morning as he headed off to the mix. audio is not my field of expertise but i thought that 5.1 is encoded into a stereo compatible track?

any pointers please

thx
roen

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: 5.1 ac3?
on Feb 20, 2007 at 2:53:51 am

If its a 5.1 AC3 file, you can import it into Encore, and it will be 5.1 AC3 on the DVD.

Return to posts index

roenld
on Feb 20, 2007 at 3:18:48 am

thanks joe - the plot sickens!
the sound engineer wanted to supply 6 wave files which i knew would not go into e2 (thought would be more appropriate than knew) so it is an ac3 encoding question
cheers
roen

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 20, 2007 at 3:45:55 am

It must be encoded elsewhere - Encore can only encode stereo to Dolby Digital 2.0 (AC3).

Once it's been encoded into AC3, you can import it into Encore.

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Feb 20, 2007 at 7:02:38 am

Why are they making things so difficult? When they are doing the mix anyways, they should have no problem providing an AC3 file. I'm no expert, either, but pretty much every multi-channel capable program I know, has either built-in support or a plugin that can be bought.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Feb 20, 2007 at 11:52:08 am

Dolby Digital 5.1 creation - correctly - is not easy or cheap.
If logo usage is required, then Dolby Labs also insist that you use a properly licensed encoder, and submit an example of the final DVD to them for approval of the encoding.

You can have Discrete 5.1, or matrixed (Which requires the additional use of either an LCRS type encoder, followed by a DD stereo encoder that can set the Dolby Surround flag (Encore cannot do this) or else through a Dolby ProLogic II encoder and from there to LPCM in Dolby Surround, or again through a licensed DD multichannel encoder.
The cheapest one available is the one that can be purchased for Premiere Pro.

If we want to get into DTS, it gets easier but also more complex as well.
AC3 (Dolby Digital) and LPCM are mandated streams. This means every DVD must have one or the other. DTS is optional, and cannot be the sole stream in any VTS.

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Feb 20, 2007 at 11:53:05 am

Forgot to mention.
Encore will happily accept a Dolby Digital 5.1 stream, and preview it.
It will also accept a DTS stream in passthrough mode only.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]