FORUMS: list search recent posts

Literature and the sorts...

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KirAsh4
Literature and the sorts...
on Feb 13, 2007 at 7:22:44 pm

This is probably a lost cause but I thought I'd ask anyway: is there a book of sorts, or other literature that talks about all the different things that one needs to keep in mind when creating content for DVD down to the actual authoring and creating of the physical disk? Not necessarily the entire DVD Spec, but at the same time, if that what it takes, then fine. (Oh, and Jeff? I know you have a book out and I'm pondering it at the moment...)

For example, a previous poster asked about the (not so well known) DVD Jacket Picture. While reading the link that Jeff provided, I learned about keeping my colors in check (black and white levels must be between 16 and 235) - I didn't know this. That same article also talked about doing the proper color settings in Photoshop.

To me, these are all little tid-bits that would come in handy at some point or another, or simply rules (or suggestions) that one ought to stick to when authoring a disk.

Now, I'm sure there are bunches of reading materials out there, but rather than filling an entire shelf with various books and what not on the subject, I'm just wondering if there aren't suggestions from this group for things to look for and or buy.

Let the hounds out!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Literature and the sorts...
on Feb 13, 2007 at 7:41:55 pm

The RGB colors tidbit for NTSC should be in Encore's Help (pretty sure it is- look for NTSC-safe colors). You might find other useful tidbits there as well.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 13, 2007 at 7:54:36 pm

16 - 235 is more about keeping things NTSC-legal (and more watchable) for any video source, not just DVD. Another way it helps is to make text and other graphics look better. Pure white (255) text on pure black (0) looks awful on a TV. So does any pure color, especially red (255,0,0).

DVD Demystified by Jim Taylor is an excellent all-in-one resource.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Feb 14, 2007 at 8:41:26 am

Like Jeff said, "DVD demystified" is pretty much the bible on everything pertaining to the DVD standards. Also check DVD-dedicated forums like Doom9. I'm certain you could buy Jeff's book as well in good faith, but I haven't held it in my own hands yet, so I can't give any further opinions.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 14, 2007 at 12:49:43 pm

[Mylenium] "I'm certain you could buy Jeff's book as well in good faith"

Thank you for the vote of confidence! In all fairness I have to say that I don't think my book would be a good choice in this instance. I touch on the spec occasionally (audio follows video in DVD-Video, web-like button rollovers have to be improvised, etc.) but my book is geared toward getting you into Encore and getting you productive right away. I try and stay away from the more esoteric technical aspects of DVD creation. :P

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 14, 2007 at 8:06:41 pm

For someone who just started working with Encore and who's still learning the ropes, your book sounds like a good purchase. I am still looking for the other information, but I have to start somewhere. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]