FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd project out of space - where/how best to compress?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ktpmm5
dvd project out of space - where/how best to compress?
on Feb 12, 2007 at 10:48:49 pm

I have 10 avi files captured via Premiere, straight from my dv camcorder. I bring them into Encore, add 2 menus, and try to put them only a dual-layer dvd. No luck - they total 10gb. Is there a way to compress them in Encore?

I've also tried outputting them various ways thru Premiere, but can't seem to find a way that compresses them into smaller files (tried microsoft avi, microsoft dv quicktime with sorenson compression, etc). Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks-

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: dvd project out of space - where/how best to compress?
on Feb 12, 2007 at 11:26:57 pm

What's the total duration of your video files?

Return to posts index

ktpmm5
on Feb 12, 2007 at 11:50:54 pm

About 9-10 hours of total time-

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 13, 2007 at 12:40:37 am

What you're trying to do is somewhat impractical.

With 9 hours of video, your average bitrate would be about 1.8 Mbps, which will yield very poor visual quality. If you used two dual-layer discs, your average bit rate would double to 3.6 Mbps, which is still pretty low. But with two discs, you could decide which videos to allow a higher bitrate, and which to assign a lower one - that's not an option you have a single dual-layer disc, due to the lack of disc space.

Consider putting it on two or more dual-layer discs.

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Feb 13, 2007 at 11:09:36 am

[ktpmm5] "I've also tried outputting them various ways thru Premiere, but can't seem to find a way that compresses them into smaller files (tried microsoft avi, microsoft dv quicktime with sorenson compression, etc). Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks-"

That kind of fiddling is not going to do any good. DVD (Video) is always MPEG-II, you cannot change that. Like Joe said, your options are limited and it would be best to span the entire stuff across multiple discs.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

ktpmm5
on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:24:31 pm

That makes perfect sense - thanks for explaining it to me. I've contacted the client and let him know what his options are. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]