FORUMS: list search recent posts

R/W discs for testing

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KirAsh4
R/W discs for testing
on Feb 12, 2007 at 9:06:02 pm

So here I thought I'd be clever and use R/W DVDs throughout a project to test certain aspects of a project, mainly how well a menu or element thereof comes through and looks on screen. So I happily went on with my business and burned the disc to test. Dropped it in my DVD player and everything was peachy keen. But then, when I tried rewriting on that same disc again, all hell broke loose. Encore wrote it, but when I tried viewing it, it wouldn't work. The image was broken up (like loss of signal type), audio was falling out and eventually it just stopped playing all together.

Now, I have used R/W discs before with my DVD player and I know it's capable of playing them, both CDs as well as DVDs. So, are the discs no good? Is Encore picky about discs? I have it set to automatically erase the disc upon rewriting. And I've lowered the speed down to 2x (haven't tried 1x yet.)

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: R/W discs for testing
on Feb 12, 2007 at 10:10:43 pm

Sounds like it was a bad burn. Try again?

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 12, 2007 at 10:45:26 pm

I did. With a new (unused) disc it works fine. But if I try to rewrite it, that's when it doesn't work. I'm thinking I might try doing a regular data burn with Nero, then try to rewrite the disc again (with Nero), see if I get bad data too. If so, then I know the discs are worthless.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:05:34 am

When I use the R/W disks, I erase them first (using Nero either Fast or complete) and then reburn them with Nero. I've always made a Folder, with Encore, and burned it with Nero, because in spite of what Encore manual says, it is slower to burn the folder with Encore, than with Nero.

I hope that is what you had in mind.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 13, 2007 at 3:50:51 am

Well, not quite. I've never had problems with Encore writing the disc (or multiple discs). Perhaps because I never used anything else, but it's always been fast for me.

What I was going to test was to just dump a bunch of data files in Nero and have it write them to an R/W, then erase the disc and repeat the process and see what the result is. If the resulting disc contains data corruption, then I know it's the discs. If on the other hand everything is fine after that, then it's something within Encore - what though, I wouldn't know.

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Feb 14, 2007 at 2:10:50 pm

I cannot accept it is Encore at fault here - we have burned countless test images to RW discs using Encore - from first version to current - and never had any issues at all that were not caused by the fault located between the keyboard & the chair.
There is a tab in the write dialogue that will allow automatic erasing of RW discs, and this should be checked.
It's much more likely to be the burner or the media at fault here.

Can I ask what make/model of burner & what brand discs you are using?

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 14, 2007 at 8:16:31 pm

That option is checked, and Encore does tell me it's erasing the disc before it writes back to it. I'm not blaming Encore simply because I *know* it can burn a good disc the first time around (or on a regular DVD-R), time and time again. I am however questioning the R/W discs OR Encore ability to properly erase the disc before writing to it again.

The drive's a Memorex DL 16x and I'm using Sony R/W for testing. The Sony DVD-R's are fine, I've done several (50 - 100 discs) projects with them already and haven't had a single one fail on me yet.

I haven't had a chance to test the discs in Nero yet. Hopefully I can do that later today.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 14, 2007 at 10:46:22 pm

Encore has no trouble erasing RW discs...I've used the same RW discs hundreds of times in Encore, and never had a problem.

Most likely this is burner or disc issue. Or an unhappy combination of both. Try another brand of RW media, or another burner.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Feb 15, 2007 at 4:56:28 pm

Thread on the Adobe Encore U2U might apply here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc32800/0

(or was that you?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]