FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loop menu after video intro

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KirAsh4
Loop menu after video intro
on Feb 4, 2007 at 11:12:00 am

[ Hey David Garrett, if you're reading this, think you can give me some pointers? ]

I created a motion menu after following one (or 5) of David's tutorials on his site. At the moment it's 7 seconds long. Eventually I'll be extending it even longer by adding footage before the actual menu starts to play. If you want to see what the menu looks like right now, I have an AVI (and MOV) file sitting at http://www.yeehaw.net/MotionMenu.avi (or .mov) Right now, in testing, it works great. I created a disc, plopped it in my DVD player and watched in total amazement how well it worked. Next step...

Here's what I'd like to do: when that motion part of the menu ends, the buttons become active - BUT... I would like to continue to show a video in a vignetted "window" on the right side of the text. Notice all the empty area? Yeah, there. Basically it would become a looping piece of about 30 seconds or so. I want the buttons to remain active during that time so that someone can select them.

Is this a case of having to create two menus? The intro one which then has an end action that goes to the second menu which has a motion background and the activated buttons?

Return to posts index

David Garrett
Re: Loop menu after video intro
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:06:05 pm

how I would create all this would be to have my motion intro play and then go to the actual menu. On this menu i would have a vignetted "window" cut into it on the right hand side where my 30 second motion video would be playing (just the video) i would then add a 30 second audio file to my menu so that the motion would run thru for 30 seconds.(so u would import the 30 sec audio/video as seperate assets into Encore)-this is how i used to get around the 15 second max for motion menus in Encore 1.5.
If you are still stuck on this then host your menu somewhere and i will download it and do some workings on it for you and record everything that i do...and then i will send you a link to the recording...

Dave :-)

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:40:01 pm

or check out my 4 part tuts that were created with Courtesy of Adam Kampia , you wont have to add the audio/video as seperate assets if you are using Encore 2.0, but the process of creation will be the same for Encore 2.0

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 4, 2007 at 4:35:58 pm

Thanks David. That's what I have right now for the most part. In Encore, I imported that AVI as an asset and dropped it on a time line called First Play. Then I imported the Photoshop file that's the completed menu (called Motion Menu).

The Project's 'first play' points to the First Play time line.
The First Play time line's 'end action' goes to 'Motion Menu: Default'
The Motion Menu's end action just stops.

This allowed the intro motion to play then at the end go straight to the menu (no delay, no black video, just nice and smooth.)

You're saying I should create a mask (in Photoshop) on the menu to use as the vignetted 'hole' and have the 30 second loop as a separate asset (AVI containing video and audio) in Encore. Then how or where do I place that asset in Encore to have it work?

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Feb 4, 2007 at 6:35:10 pm

if you follow the tuts that i mentioned then all will be explained a lot clearer for you, another alternative is to create a vingetted video button on your menu (in photoshop), and then in Encore you can take this video button out of the routing equation by routing it back onto itself..and then add the 30 sec video onto this video button and just set the looping to forever (you will need a seperate audio file from the video and drop this onto the menu also, make sure it is dropped onto a blank part of the menu, not on any of the buttons)

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 5, 2007 at 2:42:08 am

Dave,
I appologize for interferring here, but I was thinking that if after effects was available, one could do the whole thing as a motion background (per Adam Kampia's tut). You could do the "cut out" with a mask and then the second movie would play behind it and you could set the loop point to the spot where the cutout comes in.
KirAsh4, if your interested in that approach, I could be more detailed. I will say, the first menu I ever did was with Dave's 4 part tutorial using Premiere and photoshop and it just takes a few more steps that AE, but is just as good.

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 5, 2007 at 2:48:10 am

Well, AE is available, however I don't know much about it yet. I'm still learning. So I've resorted to the Photoshop/PremierePro/Encore combination. It's okay, it's a good learning experience. :) Thanks!

On the other hand, if you do feel inclined to give me a run down of how to do it in AE, I will use that to create a dummy menu to learn.

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Feb 5, 2007 at 8:42:15 pm

John, you are not interferring.. so no worries :-) .. we are all here to help one another....

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 5, 2007 at 11:47:47 pm

KirAsh4,
You can try this (third and fourth parts of "Turning Pages") to work out a motion menu with AE (modified after Adam Kampia, and others).
jmrser.com.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 6, 2007 at 7:44:03 pm

Thanks guys. I'm busy experimenting, generally playing with different setups so I can understand the different methods better. The project is moving along quite nicely. I'll report back when it's done, maybe I'll try to capture what the menu does and post that.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to do that? Capture the actual end result of the menu once it's on DVD and working? I have all the separate elements in Encore, built onto the time line, but is there a way I can "show" this working? Am I limited to using something such as Camtasia to capture the DVD video playback from my screen?

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Feb 6, 2007 at 7:59:35 pm

Camtasia is the best path, just getting all the correct capture settings is the hard part....LOL

Glad to hear that things are progressing for you...once you get the hang of all the different ways to get the same job done then you will decide which one has the quickest workflow...

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:09:42 pm

Hey David, can I send you a link to look at? It's an 11 MiB WMV file that's a representation of what the menu would end up looking like once run. I'd like to hear your input. I don't necessarily want to post the link here just yet since it's still being worked on. For contact, check my profile. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]