FORUMS: list search recent posts

Menu looping question

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Naso
Menu looping question
on Feb 3, 2007 at 4:25:05 am

I've designed a DVD with 2 looping menus - there is background video/audio set to loop forever. Done this many times in v. 1.5. Preview plays fine, image plays fine in software player. A burned DVD in 3 different players will play the menu once then stop. I've tried quite a few different settings - any ideas? I'm using v.2.

Return to posts index

John Rich
Re: Menu looping question
on Feb 3, 2007 at 2:33:37 pm

Is the "image" that plays in the software player have the extension .img that you changed to .iso or is the image a DVD folder? Also, are you going to burn this in Nero or some other program (I assume not Encore).

I had a problem (eratic behavior, not your identical problem) about a year ago, when I was using the "images" to burn on Nero and when I went to the folder, it worked ok after.

John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 3, 2007 at 2:44:45 pm

Is the "image" that plays on the computer DVD player have the .img extension and do you use it to burn the DVD from Nero (instead of Encore) after you change the .img to .iso?

If that's the case, I used to do the same thing, but one time Nero balked and gave me a bad copy, so I changed to having Encore burn DVD folders with the VIDEO_TS and having Nero burn those. You might try that.

On the other hand if you are already burning the Folders, then, I don't have any other ideas (I am sure other folks will, though).
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

Roberto Naso
on Feb 3, 2007 at 11:26:04 pm

It's an image with an .iso extension. But whether I burn the DVD straight from Encore 2 or from the image the result is the same - 3 DVD players will stop after playing the menu once, 1 will proceed randomly to another part of program, and 1 will loop the menu as it was designed to do. This particular project played as designed in Encore 1.5. I rebuilt it from scratch in Encore 2 with these results. Odd.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:05:25 am

Make sure that not a single override is set anywhere in your project. Then try again.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Roberto Naso
on Feb 4, 2007 at 2:02:01 am

Good advice. There were overrides set everywhere. Don't remember this as a problem in previous versions but with the addition of new features - playlists etc. - I guess it makes sense. Anyway that was the problem. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 4, 2007 at 2:08:10 am

You're welcome.

Unless you know exactly why you need an override set, and why you can't set up your disc navigation any other way - don't use 'em.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 4, 2007 at 7:11:07 am

Hey Jeff, seeing as how I was also bitten by this "issue" not too long ago (and the problem getting solved after following your advice), is there a tutorial somewhere that does talk about the overrides, what they're used for, how to use them, etc., etc., etc. I mean, obviously they're there for something, and not to be ignored or not used. I'd like to learn more about them.

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:07:54 pm

this may or may not be of help.... (http://www.adobeevangelists.com/movies/overridetogo.wmv)

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 4, 2007 at 3:03:11 pm

Dave,

That link is corrupted in Firefox. Does it work in IE?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 4, 2007 at 3:19:51 pm

Overrides appeared in Encore before the advent of Chapter Playlists and Chapter End Actions.

The main use for an override was a menu button override. A timeline would have its end action link to another timeline so that they could be played sequentially.

But for certain DVDs, especially performance DVDs, it was desirable for the audience to be able to watch and individual performance and then return to a menu. That's where overrides were necessary.

The button would link to a timeline and the button override would be set to link to a menu. When the timeline was finished playing after being called from the menu button, its end action (linking to the next timeline) would be overridden, and the audience would be returned to a menu.

If the timeline was played as part of a sequence of timelines, no override would be in effect, and the the timeline's normal end action would execute.

You can think of an override this way (warning - you will need to read this sentence 2 or 3 times to have it sink in):

"An object's override alters the end action of its own end action".

In my book, I give an example of how to set up a trivia quiz using overrides.

As for timeline, menu and disc overrides, I can't give you an example of a situation where you would need those. But I can imagine that if your project is very complex, and your disc navigation has to jump here and there based on different places that the audience might be at any given time, then overrides may be the only way to get the audience where they need to go. But you would have to be extremely careful, and have your disc navigation planned out to the nth degree to make something like that work. If Encore ever gives the author direct access to the GPRMs, then it's conceivable that overrides will be removed from the program.

In Encore 2.0, by using Chapter End Actions and Chapter Playlists, most projects can avoid the use of overrides altogether.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Feb 4, 2007 at 4:15:46 pm

link worked fine in IE, I just don't know how to add live links on here........ :-( i just copied and pasted the link without the () into IE

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 4, 2007 at 5:00:22 pm

That link works in IE, though not in Firefox. They're not sending the proper encoding from the page. :)

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Feb 4, 2007 at 4:16:09 pm

Aha! That actually does make sense. Is that how games are created? My daughter has several Disney (and others) DVDs that have games on them where you're either doing a multiple choice type thing, or searching for things. I always wondered how they a) keep track of all the possible choices that each screen presents, but also b) how they keep track of what you've already answered that would affect a future question or part in the game. I can't imagine that being an easy task.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 4, 2007 at 4:36:31 pm

For fancier games, you need an authoring package that gives you access to the system navigation commands and the GPRMs. The GPRMs can store information on lots of things, including what parts of the disc have been seen and what the score of a game is.

DVD-Lab Pro can do a lot of this kind of stuff, and multi-thousand dollar authoring packages like Sonic Scenarist can do anything you want. Encore doesn't yet give you the ability to directly access or modify the GPRMs, SPRMs or System Navigation commands. Those parts of a DVD are accessed through Encore's interface, which is known as an "abstraction layer". Although Encore is a powerful program, you cannot yet do everything with Encore that you could if you were allowed to program the DVD yourself.

Keep in mind, though, that would require a knowledge of the DVD specification that is well beyond most authors. You'd also have to be a pretty competent computer programmer.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]