FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding a computer screen capture

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt stoltz
Encoding a computer screen capture
on Jan 31, 2007 at 7:33:46 pm

Hey all - I have a QT file that has been captured from a computer screen using IshowU screen capture-it was captured at 640x480 progressive using sorensen 3 codec

The file looks great.

now I had to put this file in after effects because I had to mix it with DV footage -so I edited everything in 720x480 (i didnt resize or change the pixel aspect ratio of the 640 screen capture, I just left it. scaled it down to be in the safe zone though)

I rendered out of after effects using animation codec with no field render for progressive file.

encoded in sorensen squeeze at like 8000mb a sec progressive for DVD.
I even endcoded the AE file in encore..

both test on the file DVD when watched back on comuter screen and TV were both fuzzy -I would say maybe 85% readable.

why did is coem out fuzzy-whats happing --what can I fix?

matt

Return to posts index

mike velte
Re: Encoding a computer screen capture
on Jan 31, 2007 at 8:41:56 pm

There is a thread discussing this topic on the Adobe Premiere Pro forum using Camtasia. I have experimented till the cows came home and have come to the conclusion that the fonts and lines that make up a GUI are just too thin for display on a TV.
I can take a screen capture of Photoshop to DVD using many methods and when displayed on the TV the photo in PS looks great, but the GUI is always blurred.

Return to posts index

matt stoltz
on Jan 31, 2007 at 10:17:29 pm

what if you were to sent the screen rez on your computer lower (ie 800x600) then capture the image --instead of capturing at something like 1280x1024 or something or greater --do you think that might help cause this would increase the font size on your computer screen

a friend of mine suggested that

Matt

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 1, 2007 at 12:48:52 am

I assume you have an Apple so this may not help since I'm not sure Camtasia runs on anything but windows. However, you can capture the screen directly to an uncompressed AVI file with Camtasia(it's in the help section). Then perhaps putting it into AE with your other stuff and rendering it out uncompressed might work better.

I will say that your idea of dropping the screen to 800x600 works well for the Total training guys as their screen captures seem to be clear even on a big screen TV. I assume you are recording some type of tutorial.
Let us know how this comes out, please.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

mike velte
on Feb 1, 2007 at 12:37:29 pm

I have tried uncompressed out of Camtasia at 800 x600 and all looks great on PC monitors, but mpeg/dvd to TV looks poor. I can get better results shooting the screen with a camcorder. Suspect Total Training uses either a really good scan converter or uses a really nice camera and expensive PC monitor.

The challenge is on...post a short Mpeg 2 clip of your success.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 1, 2007 at 4:08:03 pm

Mike,
What kind of screen capature are we talking about here? Just a simple software demonstration like Encore?

I'm sure you're right, but I'll have to run through it myself.
John

JOHNR

Return to posts index

mike velte
on Feb 1, 2007 at 6:58:30 pm

Yes, just making tutorials of software using Camtasia. Even a still screen capture as a bitmap at 800x600 looks poor when exported to a TV.

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Feb 3, 2007 at 7:49:47 pm

Mike,

Sorry to be late in getting back about this, but a couple of problems came up.
Anyway, I did what I think might be an acceptable job. There is still some flicker on the TV (for some reason, the AE work area bar flickers the worst).
When I went back to the Total Training disk, they flicker some too and it is probably the same.

I don't know how to post an MPEG2 onto my web site, since it won't open in Media Player like the files I encoded in Windows Media Encoder. This might not be good enough for your projects, but I did want you to check it out.
Plus I would learn how to do the Mpeg to web site, if you could let me know how to do it.
I also, made a DVD folder of this, but it's too big to post.
John Rich

JOHNR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]