FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore Transcoding shutting down PC

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lilschass
Encore Transcoding shutting down PC
on Jan 29, 2007 at 2:16:22 am

I am working on a project now for a couple of months trying different ways to transcode my AVI file to create a DVD in Encore. I have created multiple AVI files to make sure it was a file curruption problem. The File is about 14gb and I have tried using Encore 1.5, AE 6.5, Premiere Pro 1.5, TMPGnc to change this (transcode) file to a size and format suitable to create a DVD in Encore 1.5. But my pc shuts off during transcoding in all programs. This at first brought me to believe this might be a RAM issue so after upgrading I now have 1.8gb DDR3200 400. My PC is a P4 3ghz with plenty of HDD free space. My video card though not really a factor is the rather new ATi x1300 Pro DDR256mb. So I do believe I have a machine capable of handling this so I am at a loss. Any help would be great.

How did you do that?

Return to posts index

Frippy
Re: Encore Transcoding shutting down PC
on Jan 29, 2007 at 1:57:34 pm

Try to install temperature monitoring software
If CPU temp more than 50..55 (cel) - you need to change cooler on your system :)

Return to posts index

lilschass
on Jan 29, 2007 at 5:00:34 pm

Would this be a third party app in XP? Because I do believe my Bios has a temp monitor and it is on. I have read in other forums it can be just from over heating but with one side of the case off I didn't concider it to be the problem I am incountering. I will try to find a way to cool it better.

How did you do that?

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Jan 30, 2007 at 4:56:15 pm

Taking the cover off doesn't necessarily keep things cool. Is the CPU fan working properly? Is the heat sink dusty? Is the entire case itself clean and has good airflow?

Return to posts index

lilschass
on Jan 31, 2007 at 2:42:03 am

Well it the fan is a little dusty as it's hard to keep completely clean of dust. The thermo mon in the bios says the CPU runs about 77-78c andI didn't notice the rmp that it said the fan was running at but it does look like it is working in normal function. So if temp is the issue, I will have to decide on how I want to attempt at lowering the heat of the cpu. I prefer not to under clock my CPU but instead find a solution by either air or water cooling to help it keep at a lower temp.

How did you do that?

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Jan 31, 2007 at 3:49:15 am

I have a dual core2 and each core runs at about 51 to 52 degrees C. To me, 77 is a bit high.

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Jan 31, 2007 at 12:38:05 pm

[lilschass] "the CPU runs about 77-78c"

THIS IS BAD :)

Return to posts index

KirAsh4
on Jan 31, 2007 at 2:57:18 pm

To answer your question, lilschass, I didn't "do" anything out of the ordinary with my system to keep it cool. It's running with a stock Intel fan and heat sink inside of a standard mid-tower case. Things that do make a difference though are that I keep the inside of the case as cool as possible: the case itself has 2 fans built-in, one at the top and one on the side, both of which are blowing hot air out, allowing it to draw cool air in from somewhere else (front and back grills.) I also keep a "clean" case in the sense that all my wiring and data cables are neatly tucked away or routed to the side or bottom in some fashion or another. Sata cables aren't big like their ATA counterpart, so that helps in de-cluttering.

My suggestion to you is to start with that CPU fan. Replace it. It might seem to be spinning fine, but unless you can confirm a sustained rpm of 3- to 4,500 when the machine is crunching, I wouldn't trust that it's doing its job. You might also look into getting better thermal dissipation, possibly a different heat sink. Make sure the thermal goo between the CPU and heat sink actually makes contact with both of them.

A good dusting of the inside doesn't hurt either. If you have access to an air compressor, go to town with it. Otherwise, spend a few bucks on some cans of compressed air and blow the dust off of everything inside the case. Make sure you check the case vents as well. Is your power supply also running hot? Blow it out! You'd be surprised how many dust bunnies will come crawling out.

By all means, you have got to lower that CPU core temperature, that's why it's shutting down on you, to prevent a physical melt down. Good luck!

Return to posts index

lilschass
on Jan 31, 2007 at 9:29:57 pm

I have confirmed the RPM of the CPU fan is mid 3000 and I have a temp mon on the mother board that is at 34c all the time. So intaking your advice I am on a search for a better heatsink and cpu fan possibly going to liquid cooling. thanks for all you help

How did you do that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]