FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Encore access GPRMs?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Kayfitz
Can Encore access GPRMs?
on Jan 23, 2007 at 1:51:27 am

Hi All,

I just a have a quick simple question. At my office we recently upgraded all our authoring software to HD and consequently no longer has access to our old SD DVD authoring package (Sonic DVD Creator...a precursor to Scenarist). I was thinking about getting Encore for the odd SD job we still get every now and then and was wondering how in depth is the program.

Basically, can you access the DVD GRPMS (General Parameters) and does the program use a First Play > Video Manager > Title Set > Title workflow or is it something more simplified? The latter question is not as important as the GPRM question. Finally, if Encore does not have access to the GRPMs do you know of any cheap programs that do?

Thanks

Brian Kayfitz

High Definition Authoring
http://www.infinitehd.com

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Can Encore access GPRMs?
on Jan 23, 2007 at 7:30:30 am

Encore does GPRM in an automated fashion. You cannot explicitly set commands, but it will take care of things like remembering button positions. More exotic stuff like switching menu subpictures and the like is not possible. DVDLabPro and of course DVDStudio Pro do GPRM programming. I don't really get your question about title sets. You never get to see this structure as Encore only works within a singular title set and multiple title sets are not really required as they merely represent a means of organizing the data structure. Unless you intend to build a mult-domain DVD or some programming-heavy job, Encore will do anything you may need.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
Re: Can Encore access GPRMs?
on Jan 25, 2007 at 1:16:24 pm

[Mylenium] "Encore only works within a singular title set and multiple title sets are not really required as they merely represent a means of organizing the data structure."

Not quite correct.
Encore is a Multi-VTS application, it's just that this is all taken care of for you by the Abstraction Layer.
If it were not a multi-VTS application, you would not be able to mix 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios in a single project as this requires a separate VTS for each ratio used, as well as for each audio structure - let me try to explain:
You cannot mix aspect ratios in a single VTS. This is a spec violation.
You cannot mix audio types in a single VTS. If timeline 1 has Dolby Digital Stereo as Audio 1, and timeline 2 has PCM stereo as Audio 1, this would be a spec violation in a single VTS, so Encore automatically sorts this out for you up to the spec limitation of 99VTS in a single title.

[Mylenium] "More exotic stuff like switching menu subpictures and the like is not possible."

Actually, it is - but you need to set it all up manually, creating duplicate menus with alternative subpicture highlight layers. This is seamless to the viewer.

You cannot get direct access to the GPRM/SPRM parameters though. All this is done by the Abstraction Layer. Unless there is a very special reason you need these options, or you fully understand how this works, it is best avoided.
If you really need this, DVD-Lab Pro is very good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]