FORUMS: list search recent posts

1st dual layer project with 9.5 GB avi file

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paulgabel
1st dual layer project with 9.5 GB avi file
on Jan 16, 2007 at 8:33:20 pm

Greetings Everyone,

This is my first posting on this forum. I am about to embark on burning to a 8.5 dual layer disk a DVD project that will include a chapter menu and a 9.5 GB avi file. When I view the disk capacity in "DVD build" it reveals that the video is only using 3.5 GB of the disk's space, why is that? I assumed that the video would take up additional space (up to 7.5 for instance). As this is my first time burning this project to dual layer (previous authoring was on 4.7 disks) can someone offer sugestions as to why this is being shrunk to this size and what can I do to use up more disk capacity space?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

Return to posts index

typpeo
Re: 1st dual layer project with 9.5 GB avi file
on Jan 16, 2007 at 8:52:43 pm

The reason is that Encore transcodes the avi into a MPEG2 file which is a lot smaller then the AVI. I'm pretty sure Encore automatically transcodes the avi unless you change the settings manually, this most likely heppened in the background and you didn't notice it. So you technically don't need a DL disk since the project will fit on a normal sized one. If the quality isn't good enough for you, you can change the transcoding settings to something you think looks better, but I doubt you would get close to the 9.5 gig size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]