FORUMS: list search recent posts

One timeline for chapter clips or a timeline for each chapter clip?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mgmdavao
One timeline for chapter clips or a timeline for each chapter clip?
on Jan 7, 2007 at 7:19:49 am

Jeff:
As requested I am starting a new post here. And previously from another post I had this:

I had the different sequences (or chapters like getting ready, ceremony, reception, bouquet toss, credits) in a single timeline except the intro video which I put as intro timeline. As the video progresses to the next chapter, there is a brief pause at the start of the next chapter. I was going to create a timeline for each chapters but I wasn't sure if that is a better way to go specially when you create a chapter playlist.
What I did is I created the entire movie of about 112 minutes as one big chunk of MPEG. Imported the MPEG as asset, created menus, chapters marks and chapter ends in Encore and VOILA! - the resulting burned DVD was great.

Any better approach or solution? Tahanks.

MGM

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: One timeline for chapter clips or a timeline for each chapter clip?
on Jan 7, 2007 at 3:06:25 pm

Putting the whole program in one timeline and using chapter markers is a good solution in general.

Putting the chapters/segments into different timelines will *always* result in pauses between chapters, so it is generally not a good idea.

If you want to give the audience the option to play the whole program back seamlessly, then don't set up any Chapter End Actions. Chapter End Actions will also introduce a slight pause between chapters. Different players will have different length pauses, and some players won't seem to pause at all.

To let the audience play one chapter and then return to a menu, use Chapter Playlists instead. You can use one chapter per playlist.

You can even break each segment into chapters - for example, the "Getting Ready" segment could have a chapter for the bride, the mother-in-law, the groom, etc. You would add those chapters for the individuals to the "Getting Ready" Chapter Playlist. But now I'm getting into the "art" of authoring rather than the "tech" of authoring, so I'd better stop. :-)

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

mgmdavao
on Jan 7, 2007 at 6:37:28 pm

THANKS JEFF.

-mgm

Return to posts index

ADHMooVee
on Feb 6, 2007 at 3:28:58 am

Hi Jeff. I am using Encore 2.0 to author a dvd for a video I shot for my church's 100th anniversary. I thought I had everything right until I attempted to allow the user to play the entire movie and came up short because only the 1st chapter played. I did a search on my dilemma and came across your post here. I did what you said as far as deleting the end actions but I kind of got loss in the "chapter playlists" suggestions. Could you elaborate a little on how I can do this for each chapter? I do plan on getting your book this weekend. It will definitely be most valuable compared to the "book" I bought by Wes Howell, "DVD Authoring with Adobe Encore DVD".
I just want to be able to finish this project before the week is out and I can concentrate on learning in depth from your book. Thanks in advance.
Mooooo.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 6, 2007 at 1:49:09 pm

[ADHMooVee] "I did what you said as far as deleting the end actions but I kind of got loss in the "chapter playlists" suggestions. Could you elaborate a little on how I can do this for each chapter?"

Create a new chapter playlist, then add a single chapter to the new playlist. Set the end action of the new chapter playlist to return to a menu. Do this for each chapter for which you want to make individual playback possible.

In my book, I describe almost the opposite method, which assumes a natural break between chapters, as you would usually have for a performance video. That method uses chapter end actions to get the audience back to the menu after each chapter, and uses a single chapter playlist with all of the chapters added sequentially as a Play All function. The reason you need natural breaks in the program content is because giving each chapter an end action introduces a slight pause between chapters. If completely seamless playback from start to finish is required, then this method won't work for you.

Thanks for the props on my book. Wes' book is much more technically-oriented than mine, and he goes into greater depth than I do as he covers various technical aspects of DVD authoring. His book is very thorough, and it will give you a good foundation on which to build your knowledge of why things work the way they do in the DVD world. My book is oriented towards "do this to get that" in Encore, with an understanding that you'll just have to trust me on why some things have to be done certain ways when making a DVD. [Flash Eddie Murphy smile here]

-Jeff

Return to posts index

ADHMooVee
on Feb 9, 2007 at 1:59:20 am

Thanks Jeff for the prompt reply and invaluable help. However, I have one final dilemma...how do I get the 1st chapter to play the entire movie (timeline) without stopping? I've named the 1st chapter, "Play all" so that the entire video would play seamlessly, but it stops and returns to the menu page even though I didn't designate an end action. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:51:27 am

Do you have an override set for the Play All button on the menu? If so, remove it.

While you're at it, make sure every single override in your project is set to "Not Set" - buttons, menus, timelines and disc. You don't need them. Someday you might, but not today.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

zenbeer
on Jan 8, 2007 at 10:30:29 pm

The logic behind a good DVD is very much the same as building a website.

I concur, one timeline for the entire movie is the best way for an "event video", doesn't matter if it's a wedding, barmitzvah, or a 2 hour home movie tape. Add all your chapter markers and you're done. I usually wind up digitizing a 2 hour home video and will add like 80 chapter points, then make a chapter menu with 10 to 20 of those 80 chapter points as a "main chapter menu" which is then linked off the "main menu" with the choice to "play" or pick the "chapter menu".

This way the client can go to the "chapter menu" if they want to see main events of the video like event X, Y or Z - or they have the choice of just hitting PLAY at the start of the DVD and using the 'skip' button on their remote control to watch the video and skip through those 80 chapter points I've added in. Clients really like being able to do that.

Any besides, on most DVD remotes if you hit MENU that should bring them back to the last menu they were on.

It's different for every particular project, but you get the idea.

zen

Scott Caplan
Triad 3 Media, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]