FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with endActions??

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dankelly
Issues with endActions??
on Jan 5, 2007 at 8:49:04 pm

Hi,

My project is all set and checked (no errors!), and in the preview inside encore everything works just fine (all buttons, chapters, etc).
When I create a folder and play it from my pc, some endActions won

Return to posts index

dankelly
Re: Issues with endActions??
on Jan 6, 2007 at 5:54:01 pm

Nobody?

I

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 6, 2007 at 7:10:24 pm

What version of Encore?

My first guess would be overrides. Do you have any set? Anywhere in the project? Using Encore 2.0, unless you have a very unique, complex and unusual navigation set up for the disc, you won't need overrides.

In earlier versions of Encore, overrides could be useful if one was careful how they were used. The most common use for overrides in Encore 1.x was to let a menu button bring the audience back to a menu after a chapter was played, instead of continuing on with the rest of the timeline. Chapter Playlists and Chapter End Actions do that in Encore 2.0.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

dankelly
on Jan 6, 2007 at 8:08:26 pm

Hi Jeff,

Im using version 2. No overrides at all - I read an earlier post you said there

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Jan 6, 2007 at 10:45:53 pm

Sorry Dan, hitting the Next button will not execute the end action of a chapter.

What it should do is take you to the next chapter in the timeline. If you are on the last chapter of a timeline, it should execute the end action of the timeline.

If you want to return to the last menu every time you press the Next button, you should cut your video into small chunks and put each in its own timeline with end action.

Return to posts index

dankelly
on Jan 6, 2007 at 11:46:59 pm

[Joe Bowden] "hitting the Next button will not execute the end action of a chapter"

Now my question would be... then why that

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 7, 2007 at 12:35:53 am

I get the same behavior that Joe has described - the Next button in the Preview window will not execute the end action of the current chapter; it will instead skip to the beginning of the next chapter.

There is a button in the Preview window that *will* execute the chapter's end action, and it called, oddly enough, the Execute End Action button. :-)

The only way the Next button in the Preview window could simulate executing the end action of a chapter is if the chapter's end action is linked to the subsequent chapter. Then the behavior of the Next button and the Execute End Action button would be the same.

Just in case you didn't already know, to get sequential playback of chapters in a timeline, you don't set any end actions for the chapters at all. The default playback behavior is to simply proceed on to the next chapter. Also, if you do have end actions set for each chapter that link to the subsequent chapter, you will get a very slight pause between chapters. This is not usually desirable when the whole timeline is to be played.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

dankelly
on Jan 7, 2007 at 1:39:27 am

Sorry if i was misunderstood guys (been losing my english...), but I was talking about the ChapterPlayList

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 7, 2007 at 12:10:24 am

I would not change your project at this point. Putting segments of your video into separate timelines and then assembling them via one or more Playlists is soooo Encore 1.x, and is IMHO a lot of unnecessary work. Setting up Chapter Playlists like you have done is the way to best use Encore 2.0's power.

If you set up disc navigation so that individual chapters play and then return to the menu, then the audience should not be able to "skip" to the next chapter (or even back to the menu) if they have selected the current chapter from the menu. If they want to return to the menu, they should have to press the "Menu" button on the remote control, just as they would have to do during playback of the whole timeline.

If they want to Fast Forward through the chapter, that's fine. At the end, they will be returned to the menu.

Two more notes from me:

1. Encore's preview is only an approximation of a real DVD player. It's good for a quick check of the disc, but that's all. Do not base your final disc evaluation on Encore's preview alone.

2. Software DVD players are a little better than Encore's preview, but not much. The audience can do things with your disc that they can't do on a hardware DVD player. Don't trust a software DVD player for your final disc evaluation, either.

Always burn an RW disc to test your project, and play it on a hardware DVD player - several if you can. Watch every minute of your disc from beginning to end. Perform every disc navigation operation that you would expect your audience to perform. That is the only way to truly evaluate your disc, and be able to decide if you have successfully completed your project.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

dankelly
on Jan 7, 2007 at 12:47:49 am

[Jeff Bellune] "set up disc navigation so that individual chapters play and then return to the menu, then the audience should not be able to "skip" to the next chapter (or even back to the menu) if they have selected the current chapter from the menu. If they want to return to the menu, they should have to press the "Menu" button on the remote control, just as they would have to do during playback of the whole timeline.

If they want to Fast Forward through the chapter, that's fine. At the end, they will be returned to the menu."

This way was the best I could get using a software player, now I

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 7, 2007 at 12:52:29 am

You're welcome. Let us know how the burned disc works in a hardware player.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

dankelly
Finally!!!
on Jan 8, 2007 at 1:49:06 am

Hi Jeff,

I got my TS folder and made a copy into my dvd disk for testing. It didnt work! Not sure why, but its behavior was different than the one i got on my computer, even though I set Next/prev NOT to work, on my hardware player it was working... in a wrong way!

After many tests the only way I got it working properly was building the dvd straight from encore, instead of making folders.

-Dan

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Finally!!!
on Jan 8, 2007 at 2:09:18 am

DVD Folders burned to disc can be unpredictable, depending on which app is used to burn them. Typically, I will burn a disc direct from Encore for a one-off for a client, and then create a disc image from my project for the production burn.

I use Gear Pro to burn the image to disc, although I've never had any problem with Encore burning the image. Gear supports burning simultaneously to my multiple burners, and Encore doesn't yet do that.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

dankelly
Re: Finally!!!
on Jan 8, 2007 at 2:52:49 am

I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]