FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD capacity exceeded with less than 120 min?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annietron
DVD capacity exceeded with less than 120 min?
on Dec 24, 2006 at 9:24:34 pm

a regular dvd is supposed to handle 2 hours of video right? < - - thats 120 min.

In my project, i have a motion menu (wich is 37 seconds long video, 720 x 480)

I have two more videos wich are my movies. (one is 60 min, 720 x 480, and the other is 47 min, 720 x 480)

If you do the math, in total its like 107 min-30 secs but its says my project exceeds discs capacity why is this?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: DVD capacity exceeded with less than 120 min?
on Dec 24, 2006 at 11:02:21 pm

Have you done the math with your file sizes?

Actually, a single DVD is capable of holding more than 2 hours of good quality video, but it's the bit rates of the video you use which will determine the final file size of your videos.

Return to posts index

Annietron
on Dec 25, 2006 at 6:15:32 am

...mmmm..... I would like the best quality posible......

these are the defualt settings for my first movie

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/7920/uploadkp4.jpg

what should i fix?

happy holidays!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 25, 2006 at 1:08:56 pm

With that much content and using Dolby Digital ac3 audio, the max allowable bit rate is only 5.37 Mbps. You have set 6.0 Mbps.

If you are using PCM audio, then you only have 4.0 Mbps available for video. I'd stick with Dolby audio.

The easiest solution is to import an untranscoded avi file into Encore and let Encore automatically transcode it. If you don't want to do that or can't do that, then your best option is to switch to 2-pass VBR transcoding, and set your average bit rate to about 5 Mbps. Try setting max to 7 and min to 3 and see how you like the results.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Annietron
on Dec 25, 2006 at 10:17:54 pm

the problem is my files are Xvid.....but i will try with the settings you gave me anyway. They will work for Xvid right?

Return to posts index

mgmdavao
on Dec 27, 2006 at 5:16:42 am

I had the same problem. But I created an image file (.iso) anyway. The final file came up to 5.2 GB. A standard blank DVD is only 4.7GB. What I did is I just shrunk the 5.2 GB file in that freeware DVD Shrink program, which did a good job of shrinking the image to the size of the media which is 4.7GB. Then burn the "new" iso file in Nero. Love it!

Return to posts index

Annietron
on Dec 27, 2006 at 6:49:23 am

Great idea man!

....i heard you lose quality that way....But hell, im going for it!

Thanx again, happy holidays

P.s. now my only problem is my subtitle file has overlaping text.....how do i fix this?!!!

Return to posts index

mgmdavao
on Jan 2, 2007 at 9:18:31 pm

let us know how your project went.

Return to posts index

Annietron
on Jan 5, 2007 at 5:21:40 am

Its almost ready!!!

the only problem is my project is 4.72!!!! I guess its time for dvd shrink....Am I going to lose quality?

Return to posts index

mgmdavao
on Jan 6, 2007 at 7:36:20 am

I guess you still have to use DVD Shrink. There are some websites which will tell you how use it. Believe me the quality is still very much acceptable but then again I will let you be the ultimate judge. For burning, I always use DVD-R for my projects. DVD+R is ok but older DVD players will not take it. I have a DVD player which is about 7 years old where I test my burned DVDs. If it works on the old DVD player, it will work with the newest ones. Good luck and let us know.

Return to posts index

Annietron
on Jan 9, 2007 at 1:22:50 am

Almost finish now!!!
i'm just re-ordering subtitles cuz for some reason they are late as the timeline advances (and in the dvd too)...weird..but oh well, he, he

Thanx very much for your support! My project is a success!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]