FORUMS: list search recent posts

opening DVD and autoboot at the same time?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Simpson
opening DVD and autoboot at the same time?
on Dec 21, 2006 at 2:53:51 pm

I just found a great little program (autorun) that makes a disk automatically open a windows browser window (or anything else I want) open when the disk is first inserted. This is exactly what I was looking for... almost.

How would I get windows to ALSO automatically open the DVD portion of the disk?

Autorun can run a program (for example if you want to open a webpage, you can just link to the HTML file, and windows automatically opens your prefered browser).

DVD files dont seem to be automatically linked to any program though.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hope I'm being clear.
Thanks
Steve.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: opening DVD and autoboot at the same time?
on Dec 21, 2006 at 3:41:49 pm

Have you tried setting it to autorun Windows Media Player?

Return to posts index

Steven Simpson
on Dec 21, 2006 at 4:18:30 pm

that would just open a windows media player window, without opening the video... plus, WMP doesn't include a standard DVD codec. so if they dont have on the WMP can understand, it wouldn't play anyways.

I need some way of making it load the default DVD player.

Steven

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 21, 2006 at 7:42:03 pm

[Steven Simpson] "I need some way of making it load the default DVD player."

That's just the problem...many if not most PCs don't have a software DVD player, unless they came with a DVD burner and assorted software goodies, or these were installed later by the user- and if they do, it's a different player on different systems.

DVD-Video isn't a file type, but a folder containing all the parts, so there's no default application for the file type of course. This might be possible using InterActual player, but that installs files on the user's system (usually that doesn't make people happy). You may want to look into that (there may be licensing fees required).

Return to posts index

Steven Simpson
on Dec 21, 2006 at 8:58:59 pm

Thanks. That makes sense. I was hoping since DVD's will autostart when you first pop them into a player, it might be possible.

I have tried EDVD which uses the interactual player, but I was worried about people having to install software.
Thanks again!
Steve.

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Dec 26, 2006 at 10:21:39 am

Actually you can get an autostart from any disc if it contains a single file of a filetype, regardless whether it is executable itself or not. This does not need any extra software installed. The key to success is not to call any specific filetype but to call its handler in the autorun.inf. I'm not sure of the correct syntax off the top off my head, but it should be something like

rundll32.exe /run clsid224094795795766666777

or

rundll32.exe /run DVD-file

I'm sure it's properly documented somewhere on the Microsoft Tech pages. The only thing is, if no program is installed, you get a cryptic message saying that a handler doesn't exist and all that blahblah which is probably even more confusing than nothing happening at all.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]