FORUMS: list search recent posts

encore error: bit rate too high ??

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
atomicrabbit
encore error: bit rate too high ??
on Dec 18, 2006 at 8:50:39 pm

Ok, I am trying to build a DVD and I keep getting this error:

Building the project failed. The bit rate at 00;00;37;09 in timeline "VTS_05_1" is too high for DVD. You must lower the bit rate by re-encoding the video, or removing some content from the timeline.

My DVD consists of ten 10-12 minute (varied) clips, that I converted with Nero Vision to VOBs. I then imported the VOBs to encore DVD and added menus. ALL of the clips are 4.7Mbps and 9Mbps is the limit so I don't understand why it's giving me this error. The entire compilation shows to be 3.88 GB on the progress screen during the Build process. What's wierd is that it errors on VTS_05_01 all the time, even though the timelines that appear before that one have the same bit rate.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: encore error: bit rate too high ??
on Dec 18, 2006 at 11:44:10 pm

Download the free version of BitRate Viewer.

Load your troublesome file into the program. What is the peak bitrate? Even a single spike above 9.8 Mbps will trigger an error.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

atomicrabbit
on Dec 19, 2006 at 5:20:39 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

The highest peak is 8617. What i did notice is that at 00;00;37;00 (37 seconds in), the bit rate is at 580, then at 38 seconds, it shoots up to 8617. So at 37, the bitrate is the lowest of the entire movie and at 38 seconds it's the highest. Could that have something to do with it. Also, at 37 sec, it actually goes below the green line (Q. level ? ). I figured since the error says that the problem occurs at 00;0;37;09, that it must be something with the the shooting bitrate.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Dec 19, 2006 at 10:43:35 am

Your first biggest error - encoding with Nero to VOB files....
Second error - using VOB files as source video.

Why you can't encode with Encore?
Why you can't use any MPEG2 Encoder (proCoder, CCE, TMPG) ???

And....for good work you need to know WNAT is bitrate and how to calculate bitrate with windows calculator....

Return to posts index

atomicrabbit
on Dec 19, 2006 at 2:33:52 pm

Well first of all, my original source videos are mediocre AVIs, so the quality won't be that great either way. And second, I tried encoding with Encore and compared it to Nero and nero vision did a MUCH better job than encore. On top of that, encore scrambled the audio in some of the clips.

I will try to convert to mpeg2 using TMPG, but can anyone suggest a workaround to fix the error I'm getting in encore before I totally scrap the encoded files I already have?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 19, 2006 at 2:42:54 pm

Frippy has a point - Using Nero to rip to VOBs is an unusual workflow for this kind of task. Usually one can just copy the VOBs right off of the DVD. We can address that in a moment.

The huge jump in bit rates at that point in the program could be the problem, even if the total bit rate stays under the DVD maximum. To know for sure, we need to know the format of the audio for the program. Is it ac3 or PCM? If it's PCM, you've exceeded the max bit rate at that point by a good bit. If it's ac3, then you may still be exceeding the max, or at least be coming perilously close. Re-transcoding the asset at a variable bit rate (VBR) with a significantly lower max and a reasonable average bit rate is probably the best solution, unless you are willing to edit out the program content where the spike occurred.

About using Nero - There are any number of DVD rippers available that will rip a non-copy protected DVD to compliant mpeg video files and accompanying audio files. These ripped .m2v and audio files will work much better in Encore than the VOBs. VOBs usually contain extra information than just the video information, and that extra info can gum up the works.

***General Note to Everyone Reading This: if the DVD is copy-protected, then it wasn't meant to be ripped. You can Google for DVDDecrypter. Let your conscience be your guide. Please don't steal others' intellectual property.***

-Jeff

Return to posts index

atomicrabbit
on Dec 19, 2006 at 3:26:36 pm

Thanks Jeff,

The audio is AC3 (48khz 2ch). What would cause the video bitrate to spike like it did? I reviewed the video and there wasn't a large change in picture, so what would cause that?

Well I guess I should re-transcode with a different application. Since the speicifc clip can't be fixed (without a bit of unecessary work). So what application would you suggest? TMPG?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:48:26 pm

...rest of message to follow soon...

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:52:43 pm

[atomicrabbit] "What would cause the video bitrate to spike like it did? I reviewed the video and there wasn't a large change in picture, so what would cause that?"

It could be a transcoder issue, or it could be that the source .avi file gave the transcoder fits. What transcoding software did you use? Nero Vision? What was the codec used in the original .avi files? You said that they weren't high quality, which leads me to believe they were compressed to some greater degree than, say, DV or HuffYUV.

Before you start re-transcoding, try re-ripping using one of the tools at videohelp.com. I personally use DVDD when I need to rip footage off of the DVDs that I have created. It does a great job, and its illegal abilities don't seem to interfere with a rip from an unprotected DVD.

If you still get the spike, or are otherwise unhappy with the results, then After Effects, Premiere Pro and Encore. Depending on the codec used in the source .avi files, you may like the Encore results better after it re-transcodes the VOB file.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

atomicrabbit
on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:04:38 pm

ok the avi files are encoded using Xvid. They are short 10-12min clips downloaded from the internet. While they are not DV quality, they are not poor quality. For example. The problem clip has the following properties:

Codec: XVID avi
Dimensions: 512x384
Duration: 11:14 min
Audio Format: MPEG-Layer-3
Fram Rate: 29 fps
Bit Rate: 141 kbps

Now before any of you scold me for using an avi downloaded from the internet to convert to dvd. I know it's not the smartest choice, but I've already done something like this before and I was satisfied with results. The main focus for this project is menu development, but I would prefer to fix the video files as well.

I have tried to allow Encore to re-transcode the VOB. This resulted in a successful build, but also resulted in scrambled audio in the re-transcoded VOB. I don't see how DVD Decrypter will affect the VOB? I thought it just rips the VOBs as is.

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:09:37 pm

[atomicrabbit] "I don't see how DVD Decrypter will affect the VOB? I thought it just rips the VOBs as is."

Read manual...IE: tools->Settings->Stream Processing
or
Select files -> press STREAM PROCESSING tab and select streams to process

For your files BEST results will be by using Canopus ProCoder 2.04, with settings:
NTSC, 29.97, VBR 2_pass, Mastering quality.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:24:01 pm

[atomicrabbit]
"Codec: XVID avi
Dimensions: 512x384
Duration: 11:14 min
Audio Format: MPEG-Layer-3
Fram Rate: 29 fps
Bit Rate: 141 kbps"

There are so many things wrong with this from a technical standpoint that I don't know what would help you out the most.

With both the video and audio in this clip, you are taking highly-compressed source material and re-transcoding it into new highly-compressed output material. This is a recipe for disaster, as you have discovered.

Kudos to you for getting "something like this" to work before, but again, as you have found out the hard way, it is a lousy workflow if you want consistent, quality results.

Good luck with future projects,
Jeff

Return to posts index

atomicrabbit
on Dec 19, 2006 at 8:41:09 pm

Like I said in my last post, my focus is not with the quality of the video, but more with the menu development. I realize I cannot make the video quality any better than its source, but I would still like it to work. I am just experimenting at this point in time, so the project isn't anything importnat. It's more for experimenting.

I will try Frippy's suggestion of using Procoder 2.04

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Dec 19, 2006 at 7:52:45 pm

[atomicrabbit] "tried encoding with Encore and compared it to Nero and nero vision did a MUCH better job than encor"
If you can "see" differets beetween NERO and Encore, try to use CCE or ProCoder. This is best encoders, and CCE/PCP can create elementary streams for DVD Authoring

[atomicrabbit] "On top of that, encore scrambled the audio in some of the clips."
Audio must be encoded from PCM/AIFF to AC3 by Nuendo, Soft Encode, Scenarist AC3 encoder etc...

[atomicrabbit] "fix the error I'm getting in encore before I totally scrap the encoded files I already have?"
Demux your VOBs and try to use elementary streams - THIS IS 1st RULE in DVD authoring!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]