FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Layer issue

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
flicker
Dual Layer issue
on Dec 15, 2006 at 3:06:45 pm

I'm using Encore DVD 2.0. My disc size is over 6 gigs. I've selected dual layer 8.54 in the project tab and then automatic for layer break. I check my project and it's all fine. When I go to create the disc it stops and gives me the error "disc requires layer break". I have burned many dual layer discs using this workflow without problem. I tried clicking on the manual set layer break option, but no other dialogue box pops up. I had a problem with dialogue boxes before because I'm using 2 monitors, but I don't think that's it because I tried switching to a single monitor and no dialogue appeared when I clicked on manual set layer break. I'm really losing my mind here an am considering an operation system reinstall. I'm using Windows XP professional. I tried deleting the preferences and another windows account. I still got the same error.

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
Re: Dual Layer issue
on Dec 15, 2006 at 5:44:39 pm

Have you tried creating a folder instead of a disc?
This method should not set a Layer Break, but instead allow you to write a folder to the drive.
You can then set a layer break either with the freeware PGCEdit, or else by loading up the folder into the freeware utility IMGburn, which can either set the break for you automatically by enabling the "Calculate Optimal" setting, or else manually.
IMGBurn will also then write the final disc for you.

I know this isn't what you really asked about, but it seems to happen - and I know not why - that the Layer Break dialogue in Encore simply doesn't always work. If it's any consolation at all, all DVD authoring applications have similar issues.
To try & work out why is almost a Black Art in itself, which is why PGCEdit may become your new Best Friend.
It looks daunting at first, because it is massively powerful. But once you get used to it....

As far as your faulty project goes, what is it's structure? You mention a 6Gb+ project but there is no mention of what was used to create the MPEG-2 files. Could it possibly be that they have Open GOP's, and there is no chapter point at a suitable place to put the break? That would very likely cause what we are seeing here:
The reason for this is that the Layer Break in Automatic mode will look first for a gap between timelines suitable for the break, then (if it cannot find one) it will look for a chapter point in the right area. Failing this, it will go at a GOP header in the right area, and Open GOP's could prevent this working.
How were the MPEG-2 files created, please?

Return to posts index

flicker
Re: Dual Layer issue
on Dec 15, 2006 at 6:41:51 pm

Thanks for your reply. I really thought I was going crazy or something because I've done this exact thing millions of times in the past without any problems. I encoded most of the assets using sorenson squeeze, but the main timeline which is close to 2 hours I had to encode using encoder. I have chapter points in the main timeline, but not any of the others because they are all quite short.

Return to posts index

flicker
Re: Dual Layer issue any other suggestions?
on Dec 19, 2006 at 5:58:56 pm

Hi I was just wondering if anyone else had suggestions? I did a test where I sucessfully burned a new project that was dual layer and it worked, so I thought I would start this project from scratch. I did it but not I'm having the issue again? I would really like to not leave encore if possible. Thanks

Return to posts index

flicker
Re: Dual Layer issue any other suggestions?
on Dec 19, 2006 at 6:06:39 pm

By the way, sorry I keep posting, but in my last post I forgot to ad that I can't make a folder. I get the same error message.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]