FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems with compression and transcoding

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tolan69
problems with compression and transcoding
on Dec 8, 2006 at 3:08:43 pm

I have my DVD set up exactly how I want it, but it says I've used 6.4GB on a 4.7GB disk. I can drop one thing, but it says I've used 4.9GB, so it's still bigger than the disk I have. How can you compress it to be used on the 4.7GB disk? (I understand that the video quality will suffer)

I tried to transcode a single file and it said that I needed to either use the larger disk setting or take something out of the project. I decided to just test out the build, so I set the disk to the 8.4GB setting and tried to transcode again and it came up with an error that says I have one chance to save (but don't save as the same file name).

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: problems with compression and transcoding
on Dec 8, 2006 at 3:48:28 pm

First of all, you can only burn an 8.4 GB DVD if you have a dual-layer burner, and Encore supports only DVD+R DL burning.

If you want to fit it onto a single layer disc, you'll have to transcode it so it will fit. What type of video asset(s) are you using in Encore?

Return to posts index

Tolan69
on Dec 8, 2006 at 5:17:30 pm

The video files are avi compressed with 3ivX at 720x480 (I know it wouldn't let me import if it was the wrong image size nor frame rate). It imported the video and I was able to view it, so I thought it'd work. Is the compression wrong? If so, which should I use?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 8, 2006 at 6:01:21 pm

The compression from 3ivX is very high, so it makes for very small file sizes. But when you burn video on a DVD for the DVD-Video format, it has to be MPEG-2; so your video assets total duration is the important thing.

What's the total duration of the video assets you have in the Encore project?

Return to posts index

Tolan69
on Dec 8, 2006 at 9:35:37 pm

6.25 hours. I've been able to put more than that on a disk using AVS Video Converter...but that program doesn't give me enough freedom.

I've been trying to mess with the Transcoding presets, but no matter what I set to the lowest setting, it doesn't do better than the automatic preset.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 8, 2006 at 10:14:50 pm

You'd best burn to DVD+R DL if you have the burner and media, as that much won't fit onto a single layer DVD.

Try doing a SaveAs on the project, and see how that goes.

Return to posts index

Tolan69
on Dec 8, 2006 at 10:42:11 pm

Well, my problem is that when I switch it to 8.54GB disk size, it starts to transcode, then comes up with an error "Sorry, an abnormal condition has been detected. Before quitting, you have one chance to save your project (don't use the same name as the original)."

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 8, 2006 at 11:06:57 pm

Did you try doing a SaveAs, as I advised in my last post?

Return to posts index

Tolan69
on Dec 9, 2006 at 12:38:25 am

I did. Nothing out of the ordinary, what was I supposed to look for?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 9, 2006 at 4:20:03 pm

In the SaveAs project, you're still getting the error?

Return to posts index

Tolan69
on Dec 10, 2006 at 12:52:40 am

Yep. I tried to build a DVD image, and as it started up, it came up with "Error setting up the transcoder." so...I'm having a problem with the transcoder, I do believe.

Return to posts index

Tolan69
on Dec 11, 2006 at 9:55:51 pm

I tried using DivX and XviD, but it still wouldn't transcode at all...even with just the one file in the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]