FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Encore dislike 704x480 MPEGs?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
moxiecat
Does Encore dislike 704x480 MPEGs?
on Dec 8, 2006 at 2:40:43 pm

I have an MPEG that is 704x480, 29.97 fps, Dolby Digital Audio at 48000/256. No matter how I try to resave this file oustide of Encore, Encore insists on telling me the file is "untranscoded."

This MPEG was recorded on a DVD recorder, decrypted to a VOB by DvdDecrypter, and resaved in Womble MPEG2VCR to make an MPEG that I can use in a DVD authoring program without re-encoding. This process works for me 99% of the time with files I record on a DVD recorder.

Encore does not seem to have a problem importing my 720x480 MPEGs, which is what usually comes out of my JVC and LG recorders. For those files, "don't transcode" is the status. However, this 704x480 MPEG was recorded by a friend of mine on his own DVD recorder--that's why it's different than the 720x480 MPEGs I usually make.

The only thing I can figure is that Encore wants to transcode because the file is 704x480--although in all the Encore specs, it says that 704x480 is allowed.

How can I avoid re-transcoding this file? Is there a way to figure out why Encore thinks it's not DVD-compliant? Is there a project setting somewhere that I'm missing? (I am somewhat of a newbie to Encore.) Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Does Encore dislike 704x480 MPEGs?
on Dec 8, 2006 at 3:37:42 pm

Encore always transcodes 704x480 video due to how subtitles are handled- even if you don't use subtitles in your project.

You could try patching the MPEG file headers so they read as 720 wide instead of 704. I forget the name of the application that does this, but you could search for it on the web.

Return to posts index

moxiecat
on Dec 8, 2006 at 4:36:34 pm

Well--the reply I entered for this doesn't seem to be working--maybe because I put a link in it.

Anyway--Joe, thank you for your reply. I was wondering if the program you meant was DVDPatcher? I found that mentioned on the VideoHelp website. Please let me know if this rings a bell as the right kind of program before I try it out. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Dec 8, 2006 at 5:57:41 pm

That's the one...give that a try, it may work for you.

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Dec 11, 2006 at 12:24:23 pm

moxiecat! do not forget to patch VIDEO_TS's VOBs back to 704x480!!
or try to use DVDLab/Maestro/Scenarist :)

Return to posts index

moxiecat
on Dec 11, 2006 at 6:31:56 pm

Frippy,

Thanks--Yes, I've heard that you have to do this when done.

One other thing I was wondering about--Do you know if you need to select "first header only" or "entire file" in DVD Patcher? (and which should be selected both times--before Encore as an MPEG and after as VOBs?)

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Frippy
on Dec 12, 2006 at 12:30:09 pm

/* Do you know if you need to select "first header only" or "entire file" in DVD Patcher? */

I'm not using Encore, but i mean that Encore reads only first GOP from file.
Then, i mean that "patch only first header" will be fine.
If no - set entire file.

/* (and which should be selected both times--before Encore as an MPEG and after as VOBs?) */

Yes, before - MPEG2 files, after - all VOBs that contains 704x480 video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]