FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best quality to import video out of avid and into encore?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coolrachel
What is the best quality to import video out of avid and into encore?
on Nov 30, 2006 at 8:08:44 pm

I have avid and I tried doing an avi but it looked terrible. I tried a mov and that looked good but encore wouldn't accept it. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?
What should I export my video as?

Return to posts index

CoopTV
Re: What is the best quality to import video out of avid and into encore?
on Nov 30, 2006 at 10:30:13 pm

Encore needs either a QuickTime or an mpeg2. I've heard of people having success with working with QuickTime reference if you are authoring the DVD on the same machine that you are working on in AVID.

Quicktime has never worked for me, it drops frames when I review the final burnt DVD. So that left me with trying to get an mpeg2 out of AVID, which isn't part of the AVID software, but part of the Sorensen compression software that works with AVID. Then I tried every codec combo in the rainbow and still couldn't get it.

Eveyone's 'recipie for success' to do this seems to be a bit different. There are just so many variables involved. Anyways here's my process. It's not the quickest method, but it creates really nice video and authored DVDs in Encore.

1) I export the timeline from AVID as an uncompressed Quicktime file using the H.264 codec with lower field first. This codec is from the pro version of the latest Quicktime download which I have downloaded and installed on my machine. This export is very slow, and usually I let it run overnight.

2) Once I have the Quicktime file exported, I preview it in the QT player to check that the video and audio is there. The H.264 codec is meant for HD footage, and I use it on DV footage..so the QT file is stretched because the codec is tagging it to display with HD demensions.

3) I use Adobe After Effects 6.5, which seems to work better than the latest version of AE7. This is what I use to take my QT file and convert it to the mpeg2 format for encore. I create a timeline, import my uncompressed QT file into the job. Interpret the footage as lower field first and click preserve all edges. Then render out the mpeg2 using lower field first. This gives me two files, an .m2v file for the video and a QT for the audio. Now I've compressed my video into a format that Encore can work with, and the AE 6.5 gets rid of the stretch on the video file.

4) Import each of these two files as it's own timeline in Encore. Copy the Audio over onto the video timeline so that I've got the audio and video together in one spot. Then I delete the timeline with the audio so that I'm working clean. Then I author away and then I'm not relying on Encore to render out any of the files for me.

Most people have had luck with using Sorensen to compress their files from AVID, other compressors you can buy are made by Canopus and other companies. I just use AE 6.5 because I already had the software and I didn't want to buy anything else.

Return to posts index

coolrachel
Re: What is the best quality to import video out of avid and into encore?
on Dec 3, 2006 at 5:24:06 pm

Thanks for taking all that time to respond to me. I really appreciate that. I have avid 4.3 which is an older version, will it still work with a newer quicktime. I had the new quicktime and i was having some difficulty with it so i got an older version of quicktime again. The people at avid suggested that. So does that ruin the way you do it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]