FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Compression---Jeff, Joe?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cuevas
Better Compression---Jeff, Joe?
on Nov 7, 2006 at 2:04:32 pm

Using a digital rapids system to compress to Mpeg2, I then bring my files into Encore 2. Recently I created a looping wallpaper for a client that had some gradients on it, I expected some banding, but by the time I got done it really jumped off the screen how much I was getting.

Now going into the digital rapids I have my compression set to the very minimun. This project was only 1:48. Is there a way to increase the quality, or at least minimize the compression in encore?

Would I have been better off not going into digital rapids, exporting out of the avid as an AVI and then dump the wallpaper into a menu? Or is it better to be in a timeline after going through the MPEG2.

I'm not sure about the transcode settings? Can I change those since I only need to burn 1:48 of material and get less compression then defaults...

Thanks guys
Johnny Cuevas

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Better Compression---Jeff, Joe?
on Nov 7, 2006 at 4:36:22 pm

Johnny,

Try exporting as an .avi (DV or HuffYUV) out of Avid and then letting Encore handle the transcoding. One of the beauties of Encore is its Automatic Transcoding, which is 90% of the time a set-it-and-forget-it operation for the author. Encore picks the best compression settings based on the amount of content in your project. The MainConcept transcoder that is used by Encore (and Premiere Pro) is one of the industry's best. [Insert nod here to those who swear by CCE]

If you don't want to do the whole 1:48, then export a representative sample from Avid and try that. However, at 1:48 on a DVD-5, you may start to see some artifacting that you won't see with shorter program lengths. That will be true with any transcoder limited by that much material on a single-layer DVD. But you'll have to look hard. :-)

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 7, 2006 at 4:44:25 pm

Thanks Jeff, I'll give that a shot on my shorter more graphic projects such as the wallpaper.

The Digital Rapids is great for the longer stuff, since it's a real time compression, generally that's the talking head things. It's when I do the highly graphic things, that the artifacting/compression stuff starts driving me nuts.

While ago you recommended DVD-Demystified...ordered my copy today.

Thanks again Jeff.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

dom_EESB
on Nov 19, 2006 at 11:43:42 pm

If you can get away with it, try and put some 'stylised' faint noise / grain into your sequence before you encode it - this helps the encoder not produce banding....

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eighteyedseabass.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]