FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving between menus

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Bond
Moving between menus
on Oct 27, 2006 at 5:24:18 pm

Hi all,
Is it posible to do a dip to black / fade to silent when transitioning between menus? Instead of the sudden silence & sudden black and the split second pause before moving onto the next menu. Can this be done without editing the audio and vid files first?
Thanks,
Tim Bond

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Moving between menus
on Oct 27, 2006 at 6:29:25 pm

With Encore 2.0, you can use a button transition to do what you want. Create the dip/fade in your NLE and export it as a DV avi file. Import the dip/fade clip into Encore as an asset, then link the appropriate button transition to the asset.

The button transition will be much more seamless than a similarly constructed timeline, and you will not run into any issues if the length of the dip/fade is very short.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Tim Bond
on Oct 27, 2006 at 6:51:33 pm

Hi,
Will that work for audio as well? So if i create, say, two seconds of black video and silence with a one second fade up / fade down that will cover the end of a menu to a start of another menu? (I'm not in front of my editing machine right now) If i have my main menu sitting there with music playing and click on a sub menu button the screen will gracefully fade to black / silence and then in again on the sub menu with my two second dip to black avi in the middle?
Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Oct 27, 2006 at 7:21:42 pm

[Tim Bond] "If i have my main menu sitting there with music playing and click on a sub menu button the screen will gracefully fade to black / silence and then in again on the sub menu with my two second dip to black avi in the middle?"

The audio cannot be seamless between any two project elements in the DVD-Video specification. So there will always be an interruption, even when the motion menu loops.

Your "2-second dip to black avi" should contain at least one frame of the full menu (probably more), a dip-to-black, and a fade-up to at least one full frame of the next menu (probably more). The audio for the avi should be edited so as to minimize the shock to the audience when the button transition executes, and again when the next menu begins. You may have to experiment some to get a feel that you can be happy with. It won't ever be perfect.

Watch some Hollywood DVDs and play close attention to how the audio and video behave when moving between menus. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events has a masterful menu that demonstrates just how good a DVD author can get at fooling the audience.

Some DVD authors maximize the impact of the audio shift on the audience by accentuating it with powerful video images to go along with the shocking change in audio. This is typically done for action/adventure movies.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Tim Bond
on Oct 27, 2006 at 7:25:30 pm

Hi,
thanks for the tips - i'll have a play and see what works best.
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]