FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd dl discs

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
p4lm4n
dvd dl discs
on Oct 9, 2006 at 9:09:16 pm

I have been tempted many times to delve into dvd dl, but alas the cost of experimenting and the blank media has stopped me,. now the media is down to only 10 time the price of normal dvd r i am ( have ) made my first dvd9 img file.

My question is this, under my normal workings i do, i use encore to create the vob files from enocre then i copy those to other computers and simply use nero to burn them. I have indeed done this for the dvd9 too, but i have also made you a img file.

The only thing that is worrying me a little is the layer break. the natural break is on act one / act two jump and so this is where i want it to stay.

i assume that if i simply burn the vobs in this way i lose the layer break. and so my question ( finally) is what is the best way to burn teh end result of the img file, other than installing encore on all the computers and using it to burn it.

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
Re: dvd dl discs
on Oct 10, 2006 at 2:53:29 pm

Use IMGBurn instead of Nero!
It handles layer breaks really well.
When setting the layer break in Encore, always try to do this manually - this way you get much more control over where it goes.
I do not trust the automatic option at all.

Return to posts index

p4lm4n
on Oct 10, 2006 at 7:24:33 pm

i read it does it on the end of a timeline, however am not convinced it did

is there a formula to find out where a layer break is given teh sector details? to convert to minutes?

also when i uncheck the auto layer break there isnt an option that comes up to say set it.

i did read that even though you dont auto it , it may well do it anyway.

i have a over 6gb end product, 52mins act one, and 62mins act two, so by definition the 2nd act would go on layer two, however i suspect it split it.

the dl are ten times the price of usual dvdr i already burned 10 but i have another 36 to go, but i don't mind remaking the master up again if i can manually fix the layer break. i am usuing 1.51 of adobe encore

thank you

Return to posts index

p4lm4n
on Oct 10, 2006 at 7:29:34 pm

i just read your post from some time ago :-

Name: Neil Wilkes
Date: Aug 16, 2006 at 8:42:52 pm
Subject: Re: How do I author for a DVD-9 disc?

Matt.

Been using GPME since version 6.5 was released, and would simply not be without it nowadays. It's just far, far too good & useful. I'll see you in the GEAR forums too, no doubt.
EncoreDVD will not give you the option for manual settings if either
A - there is a point between timelines it can set the break, or
B - the project is getting very full & there is no option open to you to change it, or
C - if there is simply nothing there to set it to, or
D - you have a single timeline & no chapter point in the right place.

i suspect that is why i am not being asked , there is a point between the timelines,

however as clonecd tells me where the break point is, and from it, its well over halfway, which is not what i was not hoping to see.

Return to posts index

p4lm4n
on Oct 11, 2006 at 7:19:49 am

i have since, having made 10 dvd dl (grr) i have now discovered the so called auto layer break at the end of a timeline is absolute bolony.

it bascially cut the whole time in half

so 8mins into the 2nd half it jerks to change to the next layer.

be warned as neil suggested and i found out to my cost

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Oct 13, 2006 at 5:33:45 pm

I think that you have another problem here.
If Act 1 is 52 minutes, and Act 2 is 62 minutes, it will always cut Act 2.
Dual Layer discs will always want to place more data on Layer 0 than Layer 1.
It is the way the specs are written.
You simply cannot have more data to Layer 1 - the discs are created in OTP (Opposite Track Path) so that the laser starts at the middle and works out. When it hits the layer break, it refocusses to the inner layer, (Layer 1) and starts running inwards again.
SO, by specs, you cannot have more data on Layer 1 than on Layer 0.

Return to posts index

Bryan Carvajal
on Oct 17, 2006 at 6:41:10 pm

out of curiosity... on my project, since it consists of 16-36 individualized videos and not just one big movie, I shouldn't have a problem layer breaks on DL discs correct ? as I have no idea where encore will cause the pause.

Return to posts index

p4lm4n
on Oct 17, 2006 at 6:55:46 pm

all depends on where they all fall, time wise

if you have no chapter points in them you might be ok.

just add them up and see where 50% is roughly if you can get the 80 odd mins on layer one, you'll be fine. the problem is , it is not easy to check, you have to watch it all, to see where it skips to next layer. There needs be something that can work out he lbp and give a time on dvd to check it

Return to posts index

Bryan Carvajal
on Oct 18, 2006 at 1:49:23 am

oh lord, watching 30 some crappy alternative 80's music videos ... I am going to go nuts on this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]