FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many minutes of HDV footage can you fit onto one DVD?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bobcahill
How many minutes of HDV footage can you fit onto one DVD?
on Oct 3, 2006 at 12:15:07 pm

How many minutes of HDV footage can you fit onto one DVD? How much can you fit on a dual-layer dvd. Anyone know?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: How many minutes of HDV footage can you fit onto one DVD?
on Oct 3, 2006 at 1:20:00 pm

For a single-layer DVD: At 7 Mbps, you can get about an hour and a half. At 4 Mbps, you can get close to 2 1/2 hours. The audio would have to be Dolby Digital to fit that much video content on a single-layer DVD-5.

You can approximately double those numbers for a dual-layer DVD-9.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Oct 3, 2006 at 5:12:31 pm

HDV is a funny thing.
Remember that it is in reality an MPEG-2 transport stream, and as such for use in DVD will need to be captured into something like Premiere Pro, using AspectHD as opposed to the Native Premiere implementation.
This, at top quality, will take around 40Gb/hour.
This will then need to be rendered down to a Cineform HD AVI codec, using the usual settings by exporting movie to give you a correct resolution AVI file.
Then this will need to be imported into your Authoring application - assuming it will accept a Cineform HD AVI file - and encoded to MPEG-2 in the usual manner.

This is all right on the edge though, and believe me, it is not for the faint-hearted.
We are having dreadful problems getting edited AVI streams out of Premiere 2.
Still unresolved.....

Return to posts index

Arlen Bell
on Oct 10, 2006 at 2:18:31 pm

Neil -- Your post contains very useful information. Is there a [good] place where those of us Premiere users who are getting ready to start experimenting with HD editing (in Premiere) can go to follow the progress of others?

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Oct 10, 2006 at 2:51:55 pm

I'll see what I can come up with.
One of the best resources I know of is Steven Gotz' website
http://www.stevengotz.com/premierepro.htm
This man has to be not only one of the most helpful people I have ever met, but he also really knows his stuff when it comes to Premiere & HDV.

Incidentally, we sorted out our export problem, and it was not Adobe's fault or our fault. We updated our build of AspectHD to build 68, and discovered from Cineform support that it had a faulty installer - went to build 69 and all is perfect.
I cannot overstate how impressed we are with the combination of AspectHD and Premiere Pro 2. Forget using the native support - spend the $500 on AspectHD, and try it for 14 days unlimited first. It is awesome.
Everything is real time - no need to render clips each time a transition or effect is used (from the cineform selection) but just edit, create & export in CineformHD codec.
This will come out as an AVI file in the "normal" DV resolutions of 720x480 or 720x576 as 16:9 files. These import happily into Encore DVD as well as the TMPGEnc MPEG-2 encoders.
The Cineform website also has some very detailed documentation on Cineform to DVD with Premiere, and recommends using the export movie with the CineformHD codec and then importing this into a standard Premiere project for MPEG-2 encoding. They do not recommend a direct MPEG-2 export from the HDV timeline.
See http://www.cineform.com/products/TechNotes/Export2DVD.htm for details.

File sizes can vary.
Cineform seem to recommend medium file size, which is about the same as normal DV, where Steven Gotz recommends using the maximum size, which equals around 40Gb/hour of fotage.
Experiment & see what suits you best. We just did a project from capture to DVD using Medium, and the client was very, very happy.
Even the VHS versions looked better to me - perhaps because I expected to see higher quality, perhaps not.

I can highly recommend this version - and it is true HD.
1440x1080i, and the detail is superb. I'm beginning to understand what it is all about now.....but still remain on my fence regarding HD DVD and Blu Ray. You can tell the difference even on SD DVD created from this codec.
Try it - it is free for 14 days!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]