FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding in Premiere for DVD Output using encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Goldberg
Encoding in Premiere for DVD Output using encore
on Sep 19, 2006 at 4:28:51 pm

Hi All,
I posted this question in the premiere forum as well, but didn't get any answers, I hope someone here might have some thoughts on this -

I've been going through a series of tests to determine the best encoding settings to use for projects renderered out of AE, and edited in Premiere. Bear with me if you don't mind. I prefer to encode out of premiere rather than encore because often there is a timeline with a bunch of clips. To do it in Encore I'd have to first render the timeline, then import, then encode in encore. Here's what I've found so far :

I'm using MGEG2-DVD Format at the highest quality. The original material was field rendered (or was video captures which have fields) out of AE. When I set the Field order in the encoder settings to Progressive, the eventual DVD output looks great (motion and edge quality) but not on all of our DVD players. We have 3 different types. It looks great on a sharp DV-MX1, and a Panasonic (don't have the number), but on our sony's (we have 3 DVP-NS575P's) the motion looks strobed. It looks like the fields are either reversed, or just not playing back well. If I use the lower field setting (either with or without the deinterlace button checked), the motion on all players looks good, but I get an ugly distortion around the edges - exactly the same way after effects footage looks when it's deinterlaced prior to rendering with fields. I'm not sure what good the field setting is in the media encoder if you can't get clean results using that. I guess I'm wondering if other people are using progressive encodings, or using field settings. If you're using fields, what have you done to get a clean output. Secondly, does anyone have any experience with either the Sony DVD player mentioned, or similar machines that had playback problems with field rendered stuff?
Two additional notes : All of this was played back on high quality NTSC monitors, not the computer screen, and interestingly enough, the sony with the problems played back the video fine in areas where there was no field rendered material.

Any thoughts would be great. This is driving me nuts.

Sincerely,
Michael Goldberg

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Encoding in Premiere for DVD Output using encore
on Sep 19, 2006 at 5:06:09 pm

[Michael Goldberg] "The original material was field rendered (or was video captures which have fields) out of AE. When I set the Field order in the encoder settings to Progressive..."

In general, if your source video is field-based, you want to transcode as field-based.

There are technical discussions available on the 'net if you want the gory details, but the video that is stored on an NTSC DVD-Video disc is stored as 29.97 fps interlaced video. To view the interlaced fields as progressive frames (like through the component outputs of a DVD player that supports progressive playback), the player has to internally de-interlace the video before sending it out. So there is no advantage to rendering or transcoding interlaced source video as progressive if you are going to DVD-Video.

[Michael Goldberg] "If I use the lower field setting (either with or without the deinterlace button checked), the motion on all players looks good, but I get an ugly distortion around the edges - exactly the same way after effects footage looks when it's deinterlaced prior to rendering with fields."

Can you post a screenshot of this? I suspect that you have a fairly long program (more than 1.5 hours on a DVD-5 or more than 3 hours on a DVD-9) and you may be seeing mpeg encoding artifacts that are the result of a too-low bitrate in high-motion scenes.

So, how long is the program? What encoder settings did you use? How did you connect the DVD players to the monitor? Hopefully we can eliminate some variables and get to a good-looking disc that plays well on most/all players.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Michael Goldberg
on Sep 22, 2006 at 12:39:15 am

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses. The program in question is about 4 minutes. I've seen the same with shorter videos as well - Only in Premiere Pro 2.0 (we never saw this problem in v1.5). All of the material is LF. I've seen this with stuff rendered in AE. All of the renderings are field rendered LF out of AE. I will test a straight capture of interlaced footage in premiere tomorrow. As far as the screen capture, I'm getting this on my NTSC monitor, there is no way to do a screen capture. I'll be back in the office tomorrow, and I'll try to get more specifics on the settings I used.

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Goldberg
on Sep 22, 2006 at 3:20:31 pm

Hi,
Here are the encoder Setting that I used for DVD Output

Format : MPEG2-DVD
Range: Work Area
Preset: NTSC DV 4:3 High Quality 7mb CBR 1 pass

Video
Quality: High 5.0
TV Standard: NTSC
Frame Rate 29.97
Field Order: Lower
Pixel Aspect Ratio: .9

Everything is at default
I'd be willing to send a DVD (but like I said, it plays great on certain DVD Players, but not others?)

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Sep 20, 2006 at 5:15:10 pm

Are you in PAL land or NTSC land (PAL = upper field first for most all video except DV, NTSC = lower field first for most all video).

If you are mixing video (recorded with fields not as 24p) with AE graphics then you'll probably get best results from matching the AE project render settings to the original video field order (as above).

There is little or nothing to be gained by turning your video material captured with separate fields into faux "progressive scan" material. If there is much movement in the frame, this is bound to create problems. If you want / must have progressive scan output for some reason, why not record video in a progressive scan format?

You are sure you're rendering out of Premiere with fields enabled, of course ...

Have you tested a simple video sample - capture edit compress to mpeg 2 write to DVD - and does that show the same problems, or is this introduced with your AE graphics stage?

And I haven't quite grasped your "ugly distortion around the edges" - which edges ..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]