FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why no audio? And always conforming?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Quitiquit
Why no audio? And always conforming?
on Aug 30, 2006 at 6:08:57 pm

Okay, just getting back to using Encore (2.0) after being away from it for a few months. But I'm taking a QT file, exported as self-contained from Media 100. Pretty simple project, one timeline with a few chapter stops. Project passes test with no problems. BUT when I preview I don't hear any audio and, even worse, if I go ahead and burn the disc, there's no audio, all this even though it shows the audio in the timeline.

Don't know if this is related, but I also notice that just about every time I blink it starts "Audio Conforming" again, even though it's already gone all the way through that process once. By this, I don't mean it restarts during the process, I mean it finishes the conforming process and just sits there for a while, and then restarts.

Most of my projects are pretty simple, and this one is even simpler yet. The only thing I can think of that I'm doing different is the "Export self-contained" thing. But I would expect that if that were the problem it would show up in video not audio, yet the video plays fine.

???

Greg

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Why no audio? And always conforming?
on Aug 30, 2006 at 8:55:50 pm

I don't know why your file keeps triggering the audio conform, but try exporting separate video and audio files. If that's not possible, try demuxing the file with one of the freeware utilities up on http://www.videohelp.com, then make sure the audio is AIFF/WAV, 16 bit 48 kHz.

Let us know how that works for you.

Return to posts index

Greg Quitiquit
on Aug 31, 2006 at 5:34:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, Joe. In the meantime, I had gotten the audio to work by deleting everything related to this project I could find and starting over. I think a big part of the problem was a quasi-experienced user (me) rushing to whip out the DVD to make a deadline at the end of a 20 hour day of editing. But a couple of other major contributing factors where some confusion over correct field dominance setting (although I'm sure my source material was lower field first, and that's what Encore's "automatic" setting decided, for some reason I needed to set to "upper field first" to not get that "shimmering" effect. I suggest a more in-depth discussion of this issue and the related decision-making criteria might be in order. I'd think it was just me except for the number of posts here and elswhere I have found on the subject.

Regarding the "always conforming", I think my observations on this were not entirely accurate (see above excuse.) I suspect that the re-conforming events were triggered by me when I tried the various forms of starting over. But I have read the rants elsewhere about how long this takes and how much disk space is required and I have to agree with the sentiment, if not the tone. The additional overhead with regard to disk space and CPU power, particularly with longer programs is particularly onerous. I guess I just never noticed it before because until now, all my Encore projects have been in the 7-20 minute range.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but after this long session I'm now flying on caffeine. I should be crashing any minute now and.... I....

zzzzzzzz.......

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Sep 2, 2006 at 12:08:20 pm

Just a thought, but what version of Quicktime are you running on the PC?
I know from other forums - and DAW applications in particular - that importing from QT7 goes well right up to the point where the Audio is extracted.
To try & clarify, over at the Nuendo forums it has been discovered that importing the Audio from a QT7 file always results in a distorted, horrible mess. And it is definitely QT that is to blame.

Return to posts index

Greg Quitiquit
on Sep 5, 2006 at 9:20:50 pm

I'm using Quicktime 6.5.2--- A lot of my work is manipulating video from a Media 100, and the Windows M100 Transcoder doesn't work with later versions.

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Sep 6, 2006 at 11:53:58 am

So much for my theory then!
WHat happens if you export the QT file as a reference file?
This is (I believe) supported in EncoreDVD 2.0
Has to be worth a try.

An alternative approach - do you have Premiere at all? - could be to bring the QT file into Premiere, and run the MPEG-2 export from there instead. It uses the same transcode engine - MainConcept - and will also allow you to set up sequence markers that will be interpreted as Chapter Points in Encore.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]