FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Layer DVD successfully burned, but won't play on a DVD player. Works on a PC though.

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tommmm
Dual Layer DVD successfully burned, but won't play on a DVD player. Works on a PC though.
on Aug 18, 2006 at 5:28:48 pm

I finally got a successful burn on my dual layer project. I popped it in my dvd player and it started playing, so I left for the day. I come back today and try to watch it and it won't play. The DVD player tries to read the disc for a few minutes and then displays "T 16.". I tried both copies i burned, same thing. I don't understand why it worked before and now it won't. I tested it on my PC and it plays it fine. Anyone know what could cause this?

I am using Memorex dual layer discs. My DVD player is a Sony - Precision Drive 3 / DVD+RW/+R/-RW/-R Playback

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Dual Layer DVD successfully burned, but won't play on a DVD player. Works on a PC though.
on Aug 18, 2006 at 5:50:44 pm

My first guess is the brand of your blank media. Memorex is an awful brand of media. Stay far, far away from Memorex.

Better brands: Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Maxell, TDK. TY and Verbatim are the best, Maxell and TDK slightly behind. I don't know if all the brands I listed have DVD+R DL blank media available.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

tommmm
Re: Dual Layer DVD successfully burned, but won't play on a DVD player. Works on a PC though.
on Aug 18, 2006 at 7:59:11 pm

I couldn't find any other DL brands in my area. What's so bad about Memorex?

I tried this disc several more times with no luck, then tested another Memorex DL disc that only has 3.7GB on it and this disc works fine, never had a problem with it. So I tried the 7.7GB DL that wasn't working right after and now it works. What gives? What would cause it to sometimes successfully read this disc and sometimes not? Is it likely an authoring, disc, or dvd player error? Are all DVD players fully compatible with reading DL discs? ARe any brands known to have problems reading them?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 18, 2006 at 8:13:53 pm

Memorex brands discs from different manufacturers and almost always gets the cheapest discs. You can even get discs from different manufacturers in the same spindle. So part of the spindle will do just fine, and another part won't.

Since it's hard for any DVD player to read a burned disc because the reflectivity is so low, and since it's harder still for DVD players to read dual-layer burned discs, it makes since to use the highest quality media available.

Older players will have a harder time with burned discs than newer players, and cheaper players will have more trouble than expensive players.

Unless you send your project off to a replication facility that will create pressed discs instead of burned discs, the best you can expect is about 80% - 90% compatibility with existing DVD players, even with the best media.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 18, 2006 at 8:20:18 pm

So lets say its having trouble reading it because of the low reflectivity of a DL burned disc. Would a replication company be able to successfully press (they press, not burn) my DVD's from this master?

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 18, 2006 at 8:24:07 pm

Possibly.

Some replication facilities can use a DVD+R DL disc as a master, some insist on separate discs per layer, some insist on -R DL discs and some insist on DLT masters.

All replication facilities should accept a DLT master.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 18, 2006 at 8:33:13 pm

They accept DVD+R DL as a master. I'm just wondering if because sometimes I'm having trouble reading this disc with my player will that cause a similar problem with the replicated discs as well

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 18, 2006 at 8:59:03 pm

The best advice I can give you is to test, test, test. Find a friend with a different brand of DVD player. Download and test some software DVD players. Go to your local electronics retail chain store and test the disc in several of their players, maybe buying another one so that you can test future projects on multiple players (I have 7 that I use for testing).

I think it's a safe bet that if you can get the burned disc to play correctly every time on at least one player, then it should be OK to use as a master.

Make sure to order a test disc from the replication facility so that you can test that before they make the pressing run.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 20, 2006 at 1:10:34 pm

tommmm.

Firstly, I am in complete agreement with Jeff about memorex - they are amongst the worst you can buy - period. For DVD+R DL discs, always use Verbatim Data Life Plus Advanced Metal Azo. Nothing else - ever. You will simply get coasters & lots of them.
Secondly, by no means will all players read either +R DL discs or -R DL discs. It is simply not a requirement of the specs (DVD+R DL is not DVD Forum sanctioned, and DVD-R DL is too new) as no player is actually required to play back written discs - period. All players are, however, required to play back all pressed discs, single or dual layer.

The next issue is the masters. There is a nasty problem with +R DL media...
With +R DL, the layer break is the worry - the way it is supposed to work is like this:
1 - put the LB between timelines, or
2 - If there are no timelines at the right place, place the LB at a chapter point in the legal range, or
3 - It will plonk it where it can.

Also, before you create a master, check, recheck & double recheck that layer break setting.
Write to a folder with Encore, load up the IFO files into IFOEdit & check where that break has been placed. I recently found one in the middle of a chapter - despite there being a chapter in the legal range, it was ignored.
Be very careful about this, as a mistake will cost time - at least a week if not more due to the glass master being remade, and money - check discs are expensive, but you MUST have them done.
Seriously, if you are going to do a lot of DL discs, invest in a reconditioned DLT2000 machine. You'll get it cheap.
Alternatively you may wish to ask the factory if they can accept DDP images written to 2 DVD-R single layer discs instead. If they can, invest in GEAR Pro Mastering edition instead - you'll save what it cost you in 5 projects when you consider how much DLT tapes cost.
but sending a master on a DVD+R DL is something I would simply never do.

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 21, 2006 at 10:49:37 pm

I do I see in IFOedit where the break was placed?

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 23, 2006 at 11:24:06 am

Is it a +R DL or a -R DL?
Does the player you are testing on definitely support:
A - +R DL
B - -R DL
C - +R discs in general?

As it plays on the computer, my guess (and this is a guess) is that the player cannot read that format.

Return to posts index

ChickenLittle
on Sep 15, 2006 at 9:35:21 pm

I have only burned 3 DVD+R DL VERBATIM 2.4 speed 8.5 Gb disc.

The first DL disc i burned were actually at work with a external DVD+RW + DL burner, some cool looking Sony design. So far it's the only DL disc that works in the livingroom, on a cheap DVD player system (like 150 USD including 5 pcs. of surround speakers)

Then it took some time and effort to make 2 pcs. of DL disc at home with my own internal Samsung DVD+RW + DL burner. They work splendid on my pc but won't play on my cheap DVD player.

At home i used Nero to burn out the two disc, at work i used the newest CloneDVD2 21. days trial version.

I use the DL disc to backup my kids original cartoon movies - even i tell them several times to take care of the disc, they somehow forget all about it when i'm leaving for another room or they have friends visiting.

I usually compress original DVD-9 to a DVD-5, but sometimes theres lot of extra material for the kids that will be in terrible quality or skipped.

I can buy DVD+R 16 speed 4.7 Gb for 0.4 USD and now i had bought 1 pcs. DL for 1.3 USD, a trippel up price, but i think it's allright, because i don't have to skip extra materials and quality is as good as the original.

So bottomline, DVD+R DL Verbatim 2.4 speed is allright in my cheap DVD player, but not when i burn it with my Samsung. If it's not the DVD burner it's maeby the software, but at this time i don't know.

I could test at work, burn another DL with the external Sony burner using Nero, and see the result.

If above works, it must be problems with my home burner.. Samsung TS-h552U...

Other ideas?

Return to posts index

dax702
on Jun 11, 2007 at 5:46:28 pm

"but sending a master on a DVD+R DL is something I would simply never do."

I just found out from my replicator that they accept burned dual layer discs (often) When you say you would simply never submit a +R, does that mean that -R is better?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]