FORUMS: list search recent posts

Writing a project to a dual layer disc - Do I first have to use Digital Linear Tapes (DLT)?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tommmm
Writing a project to a dual layer disc - Do I first have to use Digital Linear Tapes (DLT)?
on Aug 15, 2006 at 5:27:18 am

I'm trying to write a project thats about 8GB to a dual layer disc. The Encore manual says...

"To create a dual layer disc, you first must write your project to two separate DLTs (Digital Linear Tapes), one tape for each layer of the disc."

Is that true? As I type this Encore is currently transcoding and writing my project to a dual layer disc without me using any tapes. We'll see how it works out. It identifies the disc as a 8.54GB and my project is 7.95 GB. So far no errors.

Why do I hve to use 2 DLTs? And what exactly is a DLT and what does it take to write to one? After you write to one then what? How do you get it back into encore to burn?

Return to posts index

theDVDguy
Re: Writing a project to a dual layer disc - Do I first have to use Digital Linear Tapes (DLT)?
on Aug 15, 2006 at 6:54:20 am

I think they are referring to making a Dual Layer disc by Replication - there's no need to write DLTs (Digital Linear Tapes) if you are merely going to BURN a disc. DLTs are used to deliver dual-layer masters to replication facilities for mastering.

HTH - Bruce Nazarian - "the DVD Guy"

Bruce Nazarian "the DVD Guy"

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
Re: Writing a project to a dual layer disc - Do I first have to use Digital Linear Tapes (DLT)?
on Aug 15, 2006 at 9:22:05 am

What version of Encore are you using?
1.01 does not support writing to DL discs
1.5.1 will write to DVD+R DL, so will 2.0

DLT = Digital Linear Tape, and it is the preferred format for sending masters to replication facilities. It is also mandatory to use these if Copy Protection is required on the final disc, as copy protection cannot be applied to written media (despite what some companies claim to the contrary).
You need to use 2 DLT's as the usage is one tape per layer (Layer 0 goes to tape 1, and layer 1 goes to tape 2). The best tapes to use are Type III or Type III XT - these are 10/20 or 15/30Gb devices and the cheapest options as well as the most widely used. All replication facilities can read these tapes (also known as DLT2000 as well).
There are other variants. DLT4000 & DLT8000. Each step up gets larger in capacity & more expensive as well. Plus despite what we are told, DLT is not as backwards compatible as it might be, and not all facilities can read the 8000 or the 4000 types. And it's a waste of resources as you will be writing 4.38Gb to a tape that can hold up to 80Gb.

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Aug 17, 2006 at 5:30:28 am

Hi Neil,

You can use DVD-R, standard 4.7 GB discs to submit to replication with CSS and Macrovision. The trick to this is to create DDP images on the hard drive, and then copy those images to pure UDF DVD-R media. If you do that, and the replication facility is familiar with the technique, no DLTs are needed, and you will accomplish exactly what a DLT accomplishes.

The way this works is this:

You write your DVD-9 project to DDP 2.0 image files. I don't think Encore DVD has this feature, but DVD Studio Pro does. DVDAfterEdit does as well. Both are Mac though. But anything that writes DDP images to the hard drive can be used. ImageCopy from the Eclipse suite does this too. Gear does it, but it doesn't do a 2054 sector size, so it's a moot point I guess. But you get the idea. DDP images on Disc is something Eclipse 4 can handle without a problem.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 17, 2006 at 8:20:53 am

I know this little dodge.
All I need to do is use GEAR Pro Mastering, create a DVD9 Project in this, add CSS, create project.
Import Video_TS.
Write GEAR project to DDP image (After setting the correct layer break, of course) which will give me the Layer 0 & Layer 1 DDP images.
Add to the root of a DVD-ROM in UDF mode the following files.
DDPID
CONTROL.DAT
IMAGE.DAT
(Logfile & checksums are optional. IDENT.TXT should be left out)
The ECLIPSE verification system will read this as it would a DLT tape. It's DVD9 "cunning trick #1"
Oh - And GEAR can, too, write a 2054 sector size. It's a checkbox in the settings when necessary. You must use 2054 for CSS to work.....

What I was trying to say when I said you cannot write CP to a disc is that you cannot write a playable DVD-R with CP on it.........

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 17, 2006 at 6:16:33 pm

Hi Neil, this is in response to the question I asked and you answered on Matt's post. I dont want to hijack his thread, so I'll post it here.

My project is filled to the limit (7.95gb on a 7.96gb disc). To avoid the chances of the 'gotcha' problem, would it be best to further transcode on of the video files to give the project more free space?

Also I understand Encore won't allow you to manually choose the break point and you can't visually see where it automatically places it. Is there anyway to order the files in your project so they have a less chance of getting the layer break? For example I have one very important timeline and several 'extras' timelines. If I could eliminate the chance of the break happening on the main timeline that would be ideal. Is that possible through arranging the files in encore some how?

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 17, 2006 at 6:31:38 pm

Tommmm.
Encore creates it's VTS files in the same order that you create the timelines when you build the project. So, once you have started creating timelines, you cannot re-order the VTS numbers at all.
You are indeed extremely close - I would actually say you are too close to full. I always leave around 4% as an overhead when doing the bit budgets, just so I don't go out to the edges of a disc where the dye may be thinner....

When setting the LB, Encore will first try to find a point between timelines.
Then it will look for a chapter point in the right range
If it cannot find one there, it will do god only knows what!

What I would recommend you do is get a copy of PGCEdit & IMGBurn.
Create a DVD Folder from Encore (This will not try to set a layer break at all)
Then pick up a copy of this guide
http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/dl_burn_guide2/dl_burning_with_pgced...

This will give you a nice GUI to set your layer break, and you can burn the resulting image from IMGBurn. It is supposed to be a simple process.

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 17, 2006 at 6:35:36 pm

Oh.
That guide does get a couple of things wrong:
1 - it states GEAR is available on all platforms. Not true - it is PC/Windows/Linux only. No mac version now or ever,
2 - GEAR does absolutely respect the absolute values for the layer break setting.
It is safe to ignore the comments about layer 0 always going to max - this is not true if you set the LB correctly in DVD-R DL discs.

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 17, 2006 at 6:42:41 pm

Would it be a good idea to further transcode one of my less important video files to create a little extra free space for allowance? If so, what's a good manual transcode setting to do this and still maintain atleast decent quality?

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 20, 2006 at 12:56:09 pm

It would be an even better idea to revert it back to original & retranscode from that instead. Retranscoding an MPEG-2 file will give you a nasty quality hit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]