FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overrides and Effect of Many Layers (2 questions)

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Overrides and Effect of Many Layers (2 questions)
on Aug 9, 2006 at 3:25:46 am

1. To play an individual timeline, when its end action is to play the next timeline, why do you have to specify an Override in both the Menu Button and the Timeline?

2. When creating a complex menu in Photoshop, do I need to be concerned about the number of layers, or does Encore automatically merge all the layers that can be merged, when the Build DVD command is issued? (I have some shows that need to be updated every year, and it would be nice to have lots of the text layers preserved as separate layers -- plus, whenever I merge layers, the next day a client wants a change in one of them -- so I hate to merge.)

Thanks.

-- Bob C.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: Overrides and Effect of Many Layers (2 questions)
on Aug 9, 2006 at 8:33:53 am

1. It is very important that you do not set any overrides at all unless you know exactly why you need them. There aren't many instances where overrides are needed in Encore 1.x and with Chapter Playlists and Chapter End Actions in Encore 2.0, even fewer instances. Overrides will mess up your disc navigation unless you really know what you are doing.

2. Encore preserves the layer structure of the menu and will flatten all elements except the subpicture layer into a single layer at build time.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 9, 2006 at 4:35:26 pm

[Jeff Bellune] "It is very important that you do not set any overrides at all unless you know exactly why you need them."

Here's my situation:

Timelines A, B, C, D.

Menu buttons for PLAY ALL, and for A to play and return to Menu, ditto for B, C, D.

I do need overrides for that, right?

What I'm curious about is why the Menu Button needs to have an override specified, when the override setting in the timeline will take precedence anyway.

Return to posts index

David Garrett
on Aug 9, 2006 at 4:48:36 pm

if you add an overide to the timeline then you wont be able to use the play all button, as timeline-A will play and then return back at its end.
How I would do it is to have a "play all" button linked to Timeline-A and then its end action to go to timeline-B, etc,etc,etc. And then have 4 seperate buttons for each individual timeline with the button ovveride set to go back to the proceeding button on the menu.

By the way what version of Encore are you using?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
on Aug 9, 2006 at 8:07:00 pm

Bob, instead of using overrides, use a chapter playlist. It's a simple, clean solution to the problem you are trying to solve.

Overrides, if not fully understood, will cause undesirable navigation behavior.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Thanks
on Aug 11, 2006 at 11:06:03 pm

Thanks all for the help. Using 2.0, the Playlist/Chapter Playlist feature is new to me. It looks great.

For now, I wound up simply changing each timeline's Override setting to Not Set, and it appears so far to be working fine. It was erratic when I used Override in both the buttons and the timelines.

Just out of curiosity, what is the point of having an Override setting on a timeline?

Return to posts index

Joe Bowden
Re: Thanks
on Aug 12, 2006 at 3:36:32 pm

Override is just a tool, and a widely misunderstood one. Buttons, menus, timelines, etc. all offer overrides- what it does is replace the end action of the targeted link. It used to be the only way to provide special-case navigation in Encore, before the advent of playlists and chapter playlists. With the advent of those mechanisms, override's usefulness is less important. But it's still a good tool to have- if you understand how it works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]