FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I author for a DVD-9 disc?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tommmm
How do I author for a DVD-9 disc?
on Aug 8, 2006 at 7:32:04 am

I am planning to use a DVD-9 at my replication house's recommendations. What differences are there for authoring a DVD-9 vs. a regular DVDR? Can a regular burner write to a DVD9? I'm wondering how I create the master to give to the replication house?

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
Re: How do I author for a DVD-9 disc?
on Aug 9, 2006 at 6:21:47 pm

DVD9 is a dual layer disc.
Whilst some replication copmpanies will accept these as masters on DVD-R DL, or even DVD+R DL, this is not recommended. Check with your replication company though.
As a general rule, these are usually done to DLT tape, one tape per layer.
You need a DLT Type III or type III XT machine (newer ones are a waste of money. Tapes are more expensive & you still need one tape per layer regardless of capacity.)
Additionally, not all replication facilities can read these newer ones but type III XT is pretty well universally acceptable.

If your burner can write a DL disc, then you can do this to DVD+R DL right out of Encore directly. Be aware these discs are expensive, and you should only buy Verbatim Data Life Plus. And there is no guarantee your player will read them either.

Then you will have all the fun of the layer break setting. With DVD+R, this is handled bt splitting the data equally across both layers. But, when the disc goes to replication, this is not the right way to do things & the layer break must be calculated properly.

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 9, 2006 at 7:07:12 pm

Ok, wow I'm confused. First off what is a DLT Type III tape and what do I need to write to it? Secondly, how do I know if my burner can write to a DVD9? I just have a Dell PC, is it likely to include such a burner? I was told by my replication broker that the rep. company needs "a dual layer DVD+R as the master or two DVD+R's one per layer."

What's the most reliable way to do this? If I am doing two DVD+R's one per layer, do I just build my project in encore like normal and does encore handle the layers automatically and ask for a second disc when needed?

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 10, 2006 at 10:16:52 am

Things are about to get a little easier - and at the same time a lot more complicated I'm afraid.
Your broker has said the replication company will accept Dual Layer DVD+R DL discs.
This makes it easier, but be aware that if the project is maxed out and very full, you will have a potential layer break problem because of the way these formats work.
DVD+R DL can carry a maximum of 2086192 sectors per layer,
DVD-R DL can carry a maximum of 2085856 sectors per layer.
Each sector will be a block of data from your project. So, as you can see, +R DL can actually fit more onto Layer 0 than -R. This will only be an issue if the project is absolutely stuffed to capacity though.
Next thing has to be - does your burner actually support DL writing? If it is a dell, the odds are very high it will be okay with DVD+R DL format.
If you google for a freeware tool called IMGBurn, and install this, you can interrogate your burner's capabilities. This will tell you.
More good news: EncoreDVD will write directly to a DVD+R DL disc, and all you do is set the project to the DVD9 8.54Gb size, leave the layer break set to automatic, and Encore will do everything else.

Now for the complications.
You can indeed write the DL data to 2 DVD-R or DVD+R discs. Trouble is, Encore will not do this for you. The only application I know of that will do this is GEAR Professional Mastering Edition. This is because you will have to create a set of DDP images on your HDD first, and then write Layer o and Layer 1 contents - DDPID, CONTROL.DAT & IMAGE.DAT to 2 separate discs, and GPME is the only application I know of that can turn a project into DDP images for you. This would involve writing a folder from Encore, opening the folder in GPME, calculating the layer break & then writing the whole thing to a DDP image on your HDD. Calculating Layer Breaks manually is a bewildering task at first, but it does get easier.

DLT.
DLT Type III or type III XT is simply a version of DLT. The machines are sometimes known as DLT2000 as well, and I recommend them because
A - they can be found very cheap these days reconditioned
B - the tapes are (relatively) cheap
C - all replication facilities can read these, but with newer DLT4000 or DLT8000 there may be complications - and of course the tapes are brutally expensive as DLT8000 is often up to 50Gb in size. A bit of a waste when you think you only use 4.4Gb of it in a DVD layer!

In the first instance, try it with DVD+R DL. As long as your burner will do this.
Make absolutely certain your firmware is at the most recent, never use anything otyher than Verbatim discs, and always burn as slowly as possible - written discs have greatly reduced reflectivity compared to pressed ones, and dual layer even more so. Plus errors get expensive with this media.
I hope it all goes well - please let us all know?

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 10, 2006 at 4:25:18 pm

According to IMGburn, my Phillips DVD+-RW DVD8631 has the capabilities to burn to a DVD+R DL. So I'll give that route a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for all the great detailed info! I"ll let you know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

tommmm
on Aug 15, 2006 at 5:45:44 am

Hi Neil, I just reread your post. Again great info, thanks. So assuing Encore can write to a dual layer disc (even though the manual says I must use DLTs) and I set the layer break to automatic. Won't there be a noticable pause somewhere in my movie where Encore chooses the break? If so, how to I fix this, obviously I cold place it between timeines, but how do I manually choose? My project consists of about 7 video timelines.

You also mention there could be a potential layer break problem if my project is full. Well the disc is 7.96GB and my projec is 7.95GB. What is this potential problem?

And off topic, I have approx 3 hours of video on this project. 3 hours of video (plus one extra 67 minute audio track) on a 7.96 disc. How much quality will I lose if any with that compression?

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 15, 2006 at 9:15:36 am

That's not full!!
You will be fine, trust me on this. Encore's automatic setting will be just perfect around 999/1000 times.
The only time you can hit trouble is when you are very full - with the spare space on the disc measured in 3 figures or less (8.2 or 8.3 Gb out of the 8.54, for example) and even then only ewhen there are long periods with no chapter point that Encore can use as a layer break placement when there is just a single long timeline. With multiple timelines, you will be fine.
The reality is that you will only find out for sure when you write a disc. Encore 1.5.1 and 2.0 will write to DVD+R DL discs. If you are running 1.5 then there is a free update to 1.5.1 that adds DL support. If you are running 1.01 then you will have to write to a folder or an image & burn with a third partytool such as IMGBurn.
Play it back & watch carefully for the break. If it appears in the middlee of a section, then there is an issue. Chances are extremely good that with under 8Gb and with multiple timelines, you are going to be fine.

Return to posts index

Matt Dubber
on Aug 16, 2006 at 5:53:28 pm

Neil, great info...thanks for taking the time to write it all out. I am curious about the GEAR software. Have you used it? Does it work well/easily? I will have several DVD-9 projects coming up and want to be 100% sure where those breaks happen...is GEAR the best way to do that? I can't get Encore to enable the manual layer break placement window....I can only do automatic. When I click on manual, nothing happens. GEAR seems a bit pricey, but if it works well and does what it says it does, it would be great to have. Let me know what you think. (I started a post about GEAR in this forum)

-Matt

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 16, 2006 at 7:42:52 pm

Matt.

Been using GPME since version 6.5 was released, and would simply not be without it nowadays. It's just far, far too good & useful. I'll see you in the GEAR forums too, no doubt.
EncoreDVD will not give you the option for manual settings if either
A - there is a point between timelines it can set the break, or
B - the project is getting very full & there is no option open to you to change it, or
C - if there is simply nothing there to set it to, or
D - you have a single timeline & no chapter point in the right place.

In GEAR, this is all made somewhat obsolete, if not a little convoluted as a process because it is not GEAR that will work the LB out for you - this you have to do for yourself, with the aid of GEAR Layer Break Calculator - a simple Excel spreadsheet, and a copy of the freeware IFOEdit. There is a full guide to do this in both the GEAR forums, and over in the FAQ at the EncoreDVD user-to-user forums as well.
I can assure you from a lot of personal experience that this works. One of my few gripes with Encore is the lack of a visual clue about where the legal range for the LB is - it could well be that with a long, single timeline you don't have a chapter point in the right place, and as a result you will need to create one.
IFOEdit can help here too.

VFM wise, you cannot beat GPME as a mastering tool. It's that good. It's also not expensive at $400. If, for example, you own Steinberg's WaveLab editor, the DDP add-on for this is a whopping $1500 sheets, and with GPME it is there for you.
You can write to DLT & then verify the integrity of the data, plus you can always - if feeling truly paranoid - write the tape contents back to HDD and burn a disc as a final check. FTP can be used - out of GEAR - to send DDP images to replication, and the best workaround of all is that you can take a DVD9 project, and rather than write to 2 DLT tapes, you can write the image to HDD as 2 layers, then put these ont 2 DVD5 discs and send that to replication. It will allow CP to be used - without DLT tape!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]