gksmiler
internal software errors
on Jul 31, 2006 at 7:53:46 am

I'm having some problems with

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: internal software errors
on Jul 31, 2006 at 1:10:17 pm

[gksmiler] "My project consist of one long avi file, and the whole thing will (just) squeeze onto a single 4.7GB DVD after transcoding (the project size is 4.65GB) when the project is built."

If the 4.65 GB is reported by Windows Explorer, then it is too large for a single-layer DVD. If that is the size reported by Encore, then you are still really pushing the envelope.

1. Is the 4.65 reported by Encore prior to actually transcoding the file? Try a "transcode now" operation before building and see what size is reported by Encore.
2. Do you have any ROM content?
3. Are you using the Automatic transcode setting?

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Jul 31, 2006 at 6:24:05 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I have transcoded and the project size is 4.69 (not the 4.7 I mentioned earlier). I used the Automatic settings as i didn't understand the manual options.

I haven't inserted a disc into my DVD drive but I have selected 4.7 GB as the disc size in the Disc panel. This reports there is 5.359 MB free.

I haven't used any ROM content but the Disc panel does say 526 KB are used for ROM, which I guess is the minimum that gets burned to every disc anayway.

If I set the disc size to 8.54 GB (and keep my project size as 4.69 GB) without inserting a disc into the DVD burner I still get the same error mesages when I run Preview.

I don't have this problem with other projects but this is my first experiment with chapters.

Guy.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 31, 2006 at 7:10:29 pm

Automatic transcoding is good. That shouldn't be the problem.

You mentioned the Chapter Playlist. Do you have only one or do you have a Chapter Playlist for each chapter? Do you have any Chapter End Actions set? We may have to dissect your project a bit.

First, though, would you mind trimming about 10 minutes off the end of the main timeline and trying to Preview again? If it makes you more comfortable, do a Save As and rename the copy of the project and then experiment with the copy.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Jul 31, 2006 at 8:10:54 pm

Hi Jeff,

OK, I've taken 10 minutes off the timeline - this gave me about an extra 450MB free space but the same old errors popped up when I ran Preview.

I have one chapter playlist containg 4 chapters.

End actions:

Chapter 1 end action is to go to go the menu and hopefully highlight Chapter one. I have been careful to choose a menu end action.

Chapter 2- ditto except the menu item it goes to is Chapter 2.

Chapter 3 - ditto

Chapter 4 - no end action set.

Guy.

The Mind Your Own Business Podcast - the Business Owners' podcast

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 31, 2006 at 9:11:30 pm

If I understand how your project is set up, and what you want it to do, there is a procedural error. I don't know if it causes the Preview problem, but your disc won't work like you think it should.

1. While a Chapter Playlist is playing, the end actions for the listed chapters don't execute. So there is no point in linking the individual chapter buttons to the playlist - they will all do the same thing, which is play all the chapters in the order they are listed in the playlist.
2. With the Play All button linked to just the timeline, all you will get is the first chapter played back and then the end action will execute and take you back to the menu.

With Chapter End Actions set like you have them, the Chapter Playlist should be your "Play All" target. The chapters in the playlist should be listed in order, including the last chapter. Then give the Chapter Playlist an end action to go back to the menu.

Fix the disc navigation and then see if Preview works any better. If not, then the next thing to investigate is the software and codecs that are installed on your system.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Jul 31, 2006 at 11:02:00 pm

OK, I have removed all the chapter end actions and linked the Chapter Playlist to the Play All button instead of the Timeline to the Play All button. But when I run Check Project it reports an Orphan timeline error.

With this arrangement it still reports an error when I try to run Preview.

Just to recap what I am trying to do: I have one avi file that is transcoded. I have marked four chapters on this. I want to have one menu with a play all button that plays (obviously) everything. Then, on the same menu I want to have four chapter buttons each playing only its chapter and then returning to the menu without automatically playing the other chapters.

When I first set this up, before I used a Chapter Playlist, each time a chapter played it just continued playing on into the next chapter. But, at least Preview worked then :)

Guy

The Mind Your Own Business Podcast - the Business Owners' podcast - http://www.myobpod.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jul 31, 2006 at 11:21:12 pm

Guy,

I'm sorry if I am getting down to basics here. There is still some confusion on my part on what is set in your project and what isn't.

Rebuilding the project from scratch may be easier than trying to go through all possible places where this or that may be set wrong. If you haven't saved your menu as a .psd file to the Library, please do so now.

Then start a new project:

1. Import the .avi file as a timeline.

2. Add the menu from the Library via the New Menu button at the bottom of the Library panel.

3. Set each chapter in the timeline (except the last one) to have an end action to return to the menu. Ultimately, each of the individual chapter buttons on the menu will link to the appropriate chapter in the timeline. This will produce playback of each chapter with a return to the menu.

4. Create a single Chapter Playlist with all 4 chapters listed in order. Give the playlist an end action to return to the menu. This will be used for your Play All function.

5. Link the Play All button on the menu to the Chapter Playlist.

6. Link each of the chapter buttons on the menu to the corresponding chapter in the timeline. That will eliminate the Orphan Timeline error during Check Project. Disable Sync Button Text and Name for each menu button unless each chapter in the timeline is named appropriately. That will keep Encore from changing your button text when the link is established.

That's it. You're done. Preview, Check and Build.

HTH,
Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 1, 2006 at 11:09:13 pm

No worries about getting down to basics!

I have rebuilt the project from scratch, as you suggested. I have also tried building an entirely new project using chapters. Unfortunately, both still report the same errors at the Preview stage.

I have also re-installed Encore but this hasn't fixed it either.

Guy.

The Mind Your Own Business Podcast - the Business Owners' podcast - http://www.myobpod.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 2, 2006 at 5:31:12 pm

Do you have:

1. Any Matrox hardware installed?
2. Any Canopus hardware or software installed?
3. Any downloaded codec packs?
4. Any flavor of DivX or XviD installed?
5. Any software DVD players?

Sorry if I missed any answers in your earlier posts.

Do you have Premiere Pro 2 installed? If so, can it play back your avi file without error? Encore 2.0 and PPro 2.0 share the same playback engine.

Other things to try:

1. Clean and then delete the Media Cache Database. The controls for that are under Edit>Prefernces>Audio/Video Out. Test preview after cleaning, and if you stil get the errors delete it and try again.

2. Also under Edit>Prefernces>Audio/Video Out, uncheck Automatic for the Video Playback item. See if that helps.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 4, 2006 at 11:10:01 am

Hi Jeff,

I've been away for a couple of days, hence the short delay in responding.

I am only having problems with projects that have chapters. As a test I deleted all the chapter stuff (chapters, buttons and chapter playlist) from my two projects. I also deleted the timelines then simply dragged the avi files onto the remaining Play All buttons then ran Preview. Hey Presto! They worked. But, of course, with no chapters.

I have tried the cleaning and deleting of the media cache and unchecking Automatic for Video Playback.

In answer to your numbered suggestions:

1 I don

Return to posts index

gksmiler
Re: internal software errors - PPS
on Aug 4, 2006 at 11:12:22 am

PPS The avi plays back in Premiere Pro without problem. And, plays in Encore when there are no chapters involved.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 4, 2006 at 3:57:41 pm

Guy,

Glad to help. I just wish we had more luck getting this sorted sooner. Or at all. :)

Try adding the chapters back one-by-one and then previewing after each chapter is added. Maybe it's only one that's causing the problem. If you add chapter 2 back and it errors again, delete chapter 2 and then try adding just chapter 3. And so on.

The last suggestion I have is to uninstall DivX (even if only temporarily). Encore isn't as sensitive to other installed codecs as it used to be, but DivX seems to be a thorn in a lot of people's sides.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 4, 2006 at 8:32:17 pm

Just a thought - what format and how many channels is the audio?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 7, 2006 at 9:30:46 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am not sure about the specs of the audio format. It was all exported from Premiere Pro along with the video channel. My guess is that the audio is stereo wav.

Uninstalling DivX made no difference. But, when I removed the Chapter Playlist then the Preview worked.

At your suggestion I created a new Chapter Playlist and added the chapters back in one by one.

It was fine up to and including 2 out of 4 chapters. But when I added a third chapter things started going wrong with the Preview again.

Wondering whether it was the specific chapter or just the fact that it was the third to be selected, I then removed all the chapters from the playlist and added back just chapters 3 and 4. This then worked in Preview.

I then added in chapters 1 & 2, so the playlist order was: 3, 4, 2, 1. This too worked in Preview.

So, I can get it to Preview with four chapters in a Chapter Playlist, I just can

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 7, 2006 at 10:10:46 pm

Guy,

Good job troubleshooting this! I have a wild theory that I will test if you will do the same. Try adding a fifth chapter to your timeline and then creating a chapter playlist with all 5 chapters in order. Does it preview OK? How about if you keep only 4 chapters and make 3 chapter playlists, each with the chapters in a different order but with at least one playlist containing all of the chapters in sequential order.

I'm trying to find out if this bug appears when:
1) The number of chapters is a multiple of 4, or
2) The number of chapter playlists is an integral factor of the number of chapter points.

I am having an email exchange with another bloke who has the same problem - he has 36 chapters and 4 chapter playlists. So it's not just you. :)

-Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 8, 2006 at 12:35:32 am

Thanks Jeff - a guilty pleasure knowing I'm not the only one!

I'll have another tinker with it in the next day or two and let you know.

Guy.

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 8, 2006 at 10:11:39 pm

Hi Jeff,

OK, when I add an extra chapter, so the total is 5, then the thing Previews OK!

But, when I keep it at 4 chapters and make 3 Chapter Playlists (with the chapters in a different order in each but one Chapter Playlist with them in sequential order) it doesn't Preview.

Still scratching my head!

Guy.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 8, 2006 at 11:50:22 pm

The Fifth Chapter is good info - thanks!

If it makes you feel any better, I found a way to reproduce this error at will. The problem is that I haven't found a workaround, but the number of chapters is promising.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 9, 2006 at 9:36:31 pm

Hi Jeff,

Joy!!!

It looks like we've cracked it - your wonderfully inspired idea about the number of chapters has led to a fix.

At the end of my timeline I have about 1 second of blank screen and no sound. I've added in a fifth chapter consisting of this last second of nothing.

Now it Previews! Everything seems to work

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 10, 2006 at 12:42:10 am

Glad I could help. This was a tough one. I will try at my end to see if changing the number of chapters affects the error on my test project - if so then this workaround is a keeper.

Sorry, no FF or REW in Preview. The best thing I can recommend is to burn the project directly to an RW disc (no coasters) or to a disc image and then to an RW disc. Test it in a software or hardware DVD player where all remote control functions will be available. The disc image is so that if the project checks OK on the RW, you can burn immediately from the image instead of having to build the project again inside of Encore.

Best,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 10, 2006 at 4:10:23 am

Guy,

I know you have real work to do, but if you get a chance in the next couple of days could you please test something for me?

Regardless of the underlying cause for the CTimeMapBuilder error, or the number of chapters in the timeline and Chapter Playlist, I think I have found a universal workaround:

1. Place your first chapter marker and then your last chapter marker.
2. Set the end action for your first chapter.
3. Create a new Chapter Playlist.
4. Add both chapters to the Chapter Playlist.
5. Do a Preview From Here for the new Chapter Playlist.

If the CTimeMapBuilder error appears, don

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 10, 2006 at 12:36:18 pm

RE: my previous post - Obviously, the first chapter marker is automatically created, so the first chapter marker to be added manually in this procedure is the last chapter.

Sorry about that

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 10, 2006 at 8:53:48 pm

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, this didn

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Aug 10, 2006 at 9:32:28 pm

Thanks for checking this out. I had high hopes since it worked for me in 3 different test projects where I was able to induce the error.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

gksmiler
on Aug 10, 2006 at 10:07:02 pm

I'll try to have another go in a few days with a fresh approach. I'm feeling rather tired today so I might have overlooked something.

In the meantime thanks also for the advice on working around a lack of FF in Preview.

Guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]