FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1 surround ?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick
5.1 surround ?
by
on Jul 17, 2006 at 12:35:59 am

hey guys - i've used encore for a while now and know my way around it, but now i want to burn a project that was mixed in 5.1 surround (and output from premiere pro 2) i can output uncompressed .avi, .wav, or .mov 5.1 formats (without buying the SurCode plugin within premiere) but either these audio files arent recognized by encore, or when they're burned only 2 of the 6 channels make it onto the disc. any ideas?
thanks!
nick

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
Re: 5.1 surround ?
on Jul 17, 2006 at 12:43:33 am

Encore does not include a 5.1 channel DD encoder. PPro, as you have noted, needs the SurCode plugin to produce 5.1 channel DD audio.

5.1 PCM audio is not supported in the DVD spec, so you cannot include 5.1 channel sound unless you get it into either DD or DTS format.

No matter how you slice it, 5.1 channel surround sound on your DVDs is going to cost you. The SurCode plugin for Premiere is a steal for a logo-certified 5.1 DD encoder.

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

nick
by
on Jul 17, 2006 at 1:29:24 am

thanks, jeff!
nick

Return to posts index

Neil Wilkes
on Aug 5, 2006 at 2:16:11 pm

Just to confuse the issue here, but up to 8 channel LPCM is, in fact, supported by the DVD-Video specifications. It was just never implemented in any player or authoring package though as the bitrate was a maximum of 6.144Mb/sec, leaving very little for Video. It was assumed that nobody would bother, so it got left out in the final implementation.

The DD encoder in Premiere is the finest you will ever see for the money it costs, plus it is fully logo compliant with Dolby Labs, allowing you to use the DD logo on the final disc subject to approval of the encoded stream by Dolby Labs and a signed TMA agreement.

For higher quality, you may also wish to consider the benefits of DTS audio. The encoder as a standalone from SurCode will cost you $500, but is well worth the money.
The quality jump is clearly audible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]