FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data Section on DVD - no way to access from menu?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
herojig
Data Section on DVD - no way to access from menu?
on Jun 29, 2006 at 3:42:30 am

Hi all, there must be a way to do this:

I have a data section on my DVDs (corporate type) with videos of events/meetings, etc PLUS documents. Is there a way to access those docs from a DVD menu? The closest i have come up with is to create a camtasia project (output is AVI) that shows people how to navigate from my computer to the documents on the DVD, but that's pretty hokie. I just want to kick off the programs for either a PDF or a word or a powerpoint. I understand this would not work on for TV viewers, but my audience is PC based. Hmmmm...there must be a way.

I originally came at from the other angle, using Camtasia to produce autoloading data CDs with content, but building the interface in that tool is just a joke.

Ideas? Thanks!
jigs in nepal

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Data Section on DVD - no way to access from menu?
on Jun 29, 2006 at 12:41:40 pm

Sonic eDVD 4, is the program you need.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

herojig
on Jun 29, 2006 at 1:54:16 pm

John, thanks for that! looks like just the tool. Have you, or anyon else here ever used it? Downloading now to give it a whirl...
jigs

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:10:17 pm

I use it all the time. Put a couple of PDF's and a link to our website on our company demo reel and clients started asking us to do the same. Really simple to use.

Build your project in Encore and create a folder. Use eDVD and link to the videoTS folder. It will then give you all the menu links, then all you need to do is link up the files. It's all basically pulldown menus. You can burn from Encore, linking to the folder or use the recordnow program that Sonic supplies.

Do the tutorial that comes with the program, takes about 5 minutes, and you will completely get it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

herojig
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:42:48 pm

thanks again, i did some poking around the sonic website and others while waiting for the download, and i see. question: will user have to install interactual player first, or is it seamless? personally i dont' like the flavor of interactual that i have seen on commercial dvds, and many of my clients have locked down desktops (for good reason) so an interactual install may be problematic. I also see that they charge another 50 usd for the skin source. do you have skin builder as well? i am sure i would have to have that unless i can just go from the encore button DIRECT to say a pdf file - no interface needed inbetween. Thanks again, i guess i am just waiting to see....
jigs

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:54:52 pm

When you use a sonic with interactual, it searches for it, and if it's not there it will do an install.

I guess they have more skins you can get from them, but it does come with 10. I never found a need for anymore.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

herojig
on Jun 29, 2006 at 3:11:29 pm

gosh i wish the internet was faster here in nepal...downloading at a blazing 800 b/s tonight. must be a e-traffic jam somewhere in india. so it does need interactual installed? on the skins, are they logo'ed to death, or just plain and simple? i was thinking as i do very custom encore menu design, i would need any other interface element that comes up to match, if you know what i mean. but does it require a popup? can the encore button on the encore menu just launch a pdf, ppt whatever? or does the encore button launch interactual popup, that user then clicks from there to the pdf, ppt, whatever. sorry for all the questions...
jigs, downloading in nepal, sometimes a very painful and slow process

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 29, 2006 at 4:21:08 pm

The skins have one small logo in the upper right corner. It's pretty small and not really noticable.

What happens when you play the DVD from a DVD-Rom drive, the entire DVD lauches from within interactual player. You can set the size of how big you want the player to be, 800x600, 1052x720....

There are different ways to access pdfs, exe's, websites. You can set a button, and .pdf's, .jpg's will launch in another window. For website links, it will launch in the main interface.

Also you can have things pop open as the DVD is playing. Say you were doing a DVD on some machine component, when the DVD reaches a certain chapter point, you could link it to a schematic jpeg that would open up to the side of the main playing window.

Pretty much to sum up, in launches in in the interactual player, but it's not much different from launching in most desktop DVD players. And greetings from West Michigan.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

herojig
on Jul 1, 2006 at 4:36:38 am

Namaste John from Kathmandu!
thanks for all that good info, still waiting for the download to complete, could take days...
another virtual bud suggested director, but as i told him i thought that product was dead. used it years ago and felt like a programmer. yuck. okay, small logo i can live with. i noticed that u must pick an aspect ratio for the player,,,is there one for pal? interactual is not going to stretch my videos into strange shapes, is it? thanks!
jigs

Return to posts index

herojig
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:45:59 pm

thanks again, i did some poking around the sonic website and others while waiting for the download, and i see. question: will user have to install interactual player first, or is it seamless? personally i dont' like the flavor of interactual that i have seen on commercial dvds, and many of my clients have locked down desktops (for good reason) so an interactual install may be problematic. I also see that they charge another 50 usd for the skin source. do you have skin builder as well? i am sure i would have to have that unless i can just go from the encore button DIRECT to say a pdf file - no interface needed inbetween. Thanks again, i guess i am just waiting to see....
jigs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]