FORUMS: list search recent posts

Widescreen Letterbox

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
suburbiaboy
Widescreen Letterbox
on Jun 18, 2006 at 8:46:42 am

I have a project which is working absolutly fine apart from when the disk is burned. All video clips have a black letterbox (which is correct), these are exported from premiere and after effects as m2v files.

The menu's all have white letterboxs (which is wrong) the backgrounds are white for both. I really can't see where the problem is I'm pretty sure the transcode settings are the same as the export settings in the other programs.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

suburbiaboy
Re: Widescreen Letterbox
on Jun 18, 2006 at 3:41:05 pm

Just to clarify I'm talking about a widescreen project viewed for example on a 4:3 tv.

Return to posts index

epontius
on Jun 19, 2006 at 5:46:35 pm

What are you viewing this on that is showing the white letterboxing?
Here's what I'm getting at. If you have 16x9 anamorphic content on DVD and the flags are set appropriately, etc... when playing the DVD on a set top dvd player attached to a 4x3 TV, the *player* is responsible for generating the letterboxing material around the image (since that material doesn't actually exist on the DVD). That being said, this is going to vary from DVD player to DVD player, and my guess is that some DVD players have the option to customize this (various colors other than the normal super black) or to set it not to generate it at all.

When played back with a software DVD player on a computer, there should be no bars (or nearly none depending on AR) and the player window should be a nice widescreen width.

Erik

Return to posts index

suburbiaboy
on Jun 19, 2006 at 7:38:07 pm

Well that does certainly seem to make sense but why would that colour change between timeline and menu as mine does?

The backgrounds for both are white, I could imagine it would use black borders when the background is dark and white if light possibly but this doesn't really seem to relate. This is a small clip showing whats happening here.

Return to posts index

epontius
on Jun 20, 2006 at 12:46:47 am

Again, it my be just the behavior or limitation of that particuliar DVD player when dealing with 16x9 anamorphic material. It looks like from your clip, that it is behaving properly with the video streams (the transitions between menus) and handling it improperly on the menus. With 16x9 menus and timelines, on a 4x3 set both should be letterboxed with DVD player generated black.
I'd see if the behavior is the same with a software DVD player on the computer and try a different set top player. You might try resetting your DVD player back to factory defaults...and looking through the set up to see what options you have when dealing with 16x9 material when the player is hooked to a 4x3 set.

Erik

Return to posts index

epontius
on Jun 20, 2006 at 1:05:06 am

Oddly enough this guy had the exact same problem with DVDlab pro. He apparently was also using shrink and then burning the disc with Nero. Are you using any of those to create your disc?
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t275358.html

Unfortunately, he doesn't state what his solution was.

Return to posts index

suburbiaboy
on Jun 20, 2006 at 8:56:59 am

Well I just used Encore to build direct to DVD so unfortunately I can rule those programs out but it is exactly the same issue. Basically that video clip I posted was from a little portable player which is pretty new but the same happens on my set top minus that black line at the bottom.

You are correct in guessing that there is no issue on software player on my 4:3 monitor. I'm going to make my menu black temporarily to see what effect that has.

Thanks for you help btw.

Return to posts index

suburbiaboy
on Jun 20, 2006 at 9:48:49 am

Well I've kind of solved it I changed the third color in the normal group of the menu color set to black and now the letterbox is black.

I don't understand why, what if your third color needed to be something else? But then again I guess it's not normal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]