FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
RandalJ
PAL DVD
on Jun 8, 2006 at 8:42:17 pm

If I send a DVD to europe that I authored with the NTSC format in encore will it play on set top DVD players? Does NTSC/PAL matter? Or do I have to author as a PAL project for PAL delivery. In which case my source files will all have to be PAL as well. I've heard it doesn't matter for DVD's. Is this true? Partially true?

Thanks,

Randal

Return to posts index

cow
Aanarav Sareen
Re: PAL DVD
on Jun 8, 2006 at 11:40:40 pm

[RandalJ] "

If I send a DVD to europe that I authored with the NTSC format in encore will it play on set top DVD players?"

There is a good chance (93%) that it will play. If you want to be 95% certain, burn it as PAL (and for the other 4%, use GOOD media)

Disclaimer: All these percentages are generated by me, but they are fairly accurate :-)

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

cowcow
Mylenium
on Jun 9, 2006 at 5:17:10 am

[Aanarav Sareen] "There is a good chance (93%) that it will play."

Nope, wrong. Well, at least on some level. Many DVD players and TV sets don't do signal conversion, meaning your NTSC will only come thru as b/w (Luma only) at best. In many cases it will even flicker due to the framerate mismatch. Everybody will instantly hate your for that. It is also naive to believe that every player would even accept your disc. Many of the more expensive ones don't use the cheap drives which are normally intended for computers and thus are very picky or have built-in restrictions due to their custom firmware. And thern of course there are still many old players around. I myself have a 5 year old one that won't ingest any NTSC or other extravaganza. It's fine for watching my DVDs and in good health, so I don't see any need to replace it or buy another additional one, even if it may onlyy cost 40 Euros. So no, NTSC is not particularly polite and safe and I'd be wary to send such a disc to Europe if it's meant for a job appplication or business use - peopel will reject you right away as soon as they realize they can't use the disc in the way they are used to.

Mylenium (from PAL land Germany)

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Jun 12, 2006 at 1:45:55 am

Well, I have to disagree. I have sent thousands of DVDs to the UK (and that is PAL land and I have heard very, very few complaints. The

[Mylenium] "It is also naive to believe that every player would even accept your disc."
Who said anything about that? I have spent months researching a great combination of media and DVD burners. At this point, less than 5% of my client base has issues with my DVDs. And when that # is in excess of 10,000 a year, that says something...

Just out of curiosity, have you played any NTSC DVDs in PAL players?

Aanarav Sareen

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Aanarav Sareen
on Jun 12, 2006 at 1:53:02 am

[Aanarav Sareen] "Well, I have to disagree. I have sent thousands of DVDs to the UK (and that is PAL land and I have heard very, very few complaints. The"

Sorry, left the "The" outstanding...

Also, don't mean to start an argument. I just want to hear everyone's opinions. From my conversations with other DVD authorers, this procedure has worked quite well. One example:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbfe94c/1

Aanarav Sareen

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Jun 12, 2006 at 5:01:34 am

I won't start an argument either ;)

But I think I would side with Mylenium on this; Just because there are many TV set and DVD players that do support NTSC, there also are many that do not. Of course, it also depends on what parts of Europe we are talking about, but if compatibility is an important factor, I would stick with PAL.

Cheers,

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]